Liverpool History Map 1257
The History of Liverpool
As is the case with all places which have slowly emerged from obscurity, the early history of Liverpool is very imperfect. It was not known by name previously to the year 1089, and it is not mentioned in Doomsday-Book, although the neighbouring villages of Everton, Formby, Crosby, Litherland, Bootle, Walton, Kirkdale, Esmedun or Smithdown, Wavertree and Toxteth are mentioned. The derivation of the name Liverpool, has been frequently examined, but nothing decisive has been ascertained respecting it. The orthography has undergone many alterations, the name having successively been Lyrpul, Litherpul, Ly'rpole, Lyverpool, Lyverpol, Lurpole, Liverpol, Leverpool,and Liverpool.
In the year 1207 a charter was granted by King John to this embryo town, conferring on the inhabitants " all the liberties and free customs which any other free borough upon the sea hath in our territories." In 1227 the charter was confirmed by Henry III, who made the place a free borough for ever, for a fine of ten marks, and directed the formation of a guild, enacting that no person, unless of that guild, should " make merchandise," without the consent of the burgesses.
An explorer who penetrated the silent waters of the Mersey estuary at this period,
after he had passed a line of Sandhills which ran along the coast as far south as Kirkdale and concealed the few scattered patches of cultivation behind, would have come to a small tidal creek, which entered the Lancashire shore from the estuary, and, running inland in a north-easterly direction for nearly half a mile, enclosed a small triangular peninsula, a low ridge of ground, rising gently from the north until it reached its highest point (some fifty feet above sea level) at the southern point or apex of the triangle, overlooking the entrance of the creek.
This creek was the Liverpool Pool, which until the eighteenth century (when the earliest dock was made out of its mouth) formed the dominant feature of Liverpool geography, and was probably the cause of the creation of a little town here. The Pool left the river where the Custom-house used to be and Liverpool One now stands, and its course is marked by the line of Paradise Street, Whitechapel, and the Old Haymarket. To the south and east of it, where Lime Street, Church Street, Bold Street are to-day, the ground lay waste as far as the boundary of the neighbouring township of Toxteth, marked by the line of Parliament Street. To the north and west of the Pool lay the handful of mud hovels which formed the berewick of Liverpool. They probably lay somewhere about the site of the Town Hall.
The map shows the Original 7 Streets of Liverpool first laid down in 1207 and finished in 1257.
The original street names were:-
- Bank Street (now Water Street)
- Castle Street
- Chapel Street
- Dale Street
- Juggler Street (now High Street)
- Moor Street (now Tithebarn Street)
- Whiteacre Street (now Old Hall Street)