Liverpool Churches Names Index, Photos, Maps and History of Liverpool City

 Liverpool City Group
  past and present

 




Liverpool Churches:

Liverpool, churches, liverpool-l1-st-peters-church-altar-1704-11.1x7.0-300
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Peter's Church Altar Church Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1704

 

  REF: 4911


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l36-huyton-church-c1800
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: Huyton Church , Huyton, L36 - 1800

 

  REF: 4715


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l25-the-chapel-woolton-2-1924
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: Woolton Chapel , Woolton, L25 - 1924

 

  REF: 4714


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l25-st-peters-church-woolton-2006
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Peters Church , Woolton, L25 - 2006

 

  REF: 4713


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l25-gateacre-grange-chapel-1920
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: The Grange Chapel , Gateacre, L25 - 1920

 

  REF: 4712


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l23-st-michaels-chapel-crosby-1854
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Michaels Church Downhills Road, Blundellsands, L23 - 1854

 

  REF: 4711


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l16-childwall-church-1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: Childwall Church Childwall Abbey Road, Childwall, L16 - 1900

 

  REF: 4710


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l8-temple-of-humanity-upper-parliament-street-1910
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: The Temple of Humanity Upper Parliament Street, Toxteth, L.8 - 1910

 

  REF: 4709


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l8-st-thomas-church-park-road-1853
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Thomas Church Park Lane, Centre-South, L.1 - 1853

  As described in "Smith's Strangers Guide to Liverpool" in the year 1843

ST. THOMAS'S CHURCH,

situated near the bottom of Park-lane, was consecrated in 1750. The body of the church is rusticated, and the interior is lighted by two rows of windows, between which are Ionic pilasters. On these rest an entablature and empanelled parapet, with vases above each pilaster. The spire was originally 240 feet high, but 20 feet of it was blown down on the 15th March, 1797, which was afterwards rebuilt. In 1822, considerable danger was apprehended from its having become insecure and vibrating during violent gales. It was accordingly surveyed, and ordered to be taken down. A short but handsome tower, with a square rustic basement now occupies its place. From this basement, a little above the cornice, the tower becomes octagonal, and has eight large belfry windows with circular heads and ornaments, and it is finished by a dome and cross. The interior of the church is plain, and will accommodate 1188 persons. The chancel is of a circular form, richly panelled and ornamented by fluted Corinthian pilasters. The galleries rest on eight pedestals, from which proceed Corinthian columns, finished by an entablature which supports the roof. At the west end is an upper gallery for the organ, &c.

  REF: 4708


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l8-st-clements-church-beaumont-street-toxteth
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Clements Church Beaumont Street, Toxteth, L.8 - 1900s

 

  REF: 4707


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l7-st-catharines-church-chatham-street-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Catharines Church Chatham Street, Edge Hill, L.7 - 1843

 

  REF: 4706


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l6-st-margarets-church-belmont-road-anfield-1910
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Margarets Church Belmont Road, Anfield, L.6 - 1910

 

  REF: 4705


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l6-hardwick-street-st-judes-church-c1800
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Judes Church Hardwick Street, Kensington, L.6 - 1800

 

  REF: 4704


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l5-everton-st-georges-church-1831
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Georges Church , Everton, L.5 - 1831

 

  REF: 4703


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l3-st-nicholas-church-and-chapel-street-c1800s
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Nicholas Church Chapel Street, Centre-Town, L.3 - 1800s

 

  REF: 4702


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l3-earle-street-st-pauls-church-1839
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Pauls Church Earle Street, Centre-North, L.3 - 1839

 

  REF: 4701


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l3-chapel-street-st-nicholas-church-1920
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Nicholas Church Chapel Street, Centre-Town, L.3 - 1920

 

  REF: 4700


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l2-castle-street-st-georges-church-1831
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Georges Church Castle Street, St Georges Crescent, Centre-Town, L.2 - 1831

 

  REF: 4699


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l2-castle-street-st-georges-church-c1800
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Georges Church Castle Street, St Georges Crescent, Centre-Town, L.2 - 1800

 

  REF: 4698


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l2-castle-street-st-georges-church-1792
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Georges Church Castle Street, St Georges Crescent, Centre-Town, L.2 - 1792

 

  REF: 4697


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l1-st-stephens-church-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Stephens Church Byrom Street, Centre-Town, L.3 - 1843

  ST. STEPHEN'S CHURCH is a small cemented building in Byrom-street, with seats for 497 persons. It was licensed as a Protestant dissenters' meeting-house of the Baptist denomination in 1722, and afterwards consecrated as a Church.

  REF: 4696


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l1-rodney-street-st-andrews-scotch-kirk-1839
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Andrews Scotch Kirk Rodney Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1839

 

  REF: 4695


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l1-mariners-church-1830
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: The Mariners Church George's Dock, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1830

  As described in "Smith's Strangers Guide to Liverpool" in the year 1843

MARINER'S CHURCH.

This is a commodious place of worship for the use of seamen, moored at the south end of George's Dock, It was originally the " Tees,'' an 18 gun sloop, which was granted by government for the purpose to which it is now applied. It is fitted up in the usual manner of a church, with galleries, &c., and the church of England service is regularly used.

  REF: 4694


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l1-hope-street-philharmonic-hall-and-unitarian-church-1850
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: The Unitarian Church Hope Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1850

  seen here next to the Philharmonic Hall

  REF: 4693


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l1-great-george-st-chapel
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: Great George Street Chapel Great George Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1843

 

  REF: 4692


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l1-church-of-the-school-for-the-blind-1831
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: Church of the School for the Blind London Road, Centre-Town, L.3 - 1831

  SCHOOL FOR THE BLIND. This institution is situated in London-road, at the corner of Hotham-street, has a plain stuccoed exterior, and extends in a long range of building as far back as Lord Nelson-street.

  REF: 4691


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l1-church-street-st-peters-church-1877
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Peters Church Church Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1877

 

  REF: 4690


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l1-church-street-st-peters-church-the-altar-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: The Altar, St Peters Church Church Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1843

 

  REF: 4689


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l1-church-street-st-peters-church-c1800
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Peters Church Church Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1800

 

  REF: 4688


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l1-brunswick-wesleyan-chapel-1829
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: Brunswick Wesleyan Chapel Moss Street, Centre-Town, L.6 - 1829

 

  REF: 4687


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l4-st-john-the-evangelist-church-fountains-road-kirkdale1927
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St John the Evangelist RC Fountains Road, Kirkdale, L.4 - 1927

  The building on the left is the Infants and Junior school, St John the Evangelist RC church on the right. Thanks to Steve Oneill

  REF: 4255


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-sefton-church-1849
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: Sefton Church , Sefton, - 1849

 

  REF: 2872


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l21-litherland-1915
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: Litherland Church , Litherland, L21 - 1915

 

  REF: 2871


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l17-st-michaels-church-aigburth-1800
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Michaels St Michaels Church Road, Aigburth, L17 - 1800

 

  REF: 2870


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l17-st-clare-arundel-avenue-1890
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Clare Arundel Avenue, Aigburth, L17 - 1890

 

  REF: 2869


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l17-st-barnabas-mossley-hill-1914
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Barnabas Penny Lane, Mossley Hill, L17 - 1914

 

  REF: 2868


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l17-greenbank-synagogue
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: Greenbank Synagogue Greenbank Drive, Aigburth, L17 - 1960

 

  REF: 2867


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l16-childwall-synagogue
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: Childwall Synagogue Dunbabin Road, Childwall, L16 - 1960

 

  REF: 2866


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l16-childwall-church-1890
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: Childwall Church Childwall Abbey Road, Childwall, L16 - 1890

 

  REF: 2865


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l15-holy-trinity-church-road-wavertree-1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: Holy Trinity C of E Church Road, Wavertree, L15 - 1900

 

  REF: 2863


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l9-blessed-sacrament-walton-vale-1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: Blessed Sacrament Walton Vale, Walton, L.9 - 1900

 

  REF: 2862


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l8-the-new-greek-church-princes-road-toxteth-1870
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Nicolas Princes Road, Toxteth, L.8 - 1870

  The Liverpool Greek community dates back nearly 200 years. The first large wave of Greeks arrived in the city in 1821 after the massacre of Greeks by Turkish invaders on the island of Chios.

The Greek Orthodox Church is situated at the junction of Berkley Street and Princes Road. It was built in 1870 in the Neo-Byzantine architecture style. The architects were W. & J. Hay and the church was built by Henry Sumners. It is an enlarged version of St Theodore's church in Constantinople and is a Grade II Listed building.

It was built in the neighborhood of Toxteth at a time when Liverpool's magnates were filling Toxteth with opulent mansions and substantial homes and in a cluster of houses of worship designed to advertise the wealth and status of these captains of industry that were very ethnically diverse in the Victorian era.

  REF: 2861


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l8-st-silas-high-park-street
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Silas High Park Street, Dingle, L.8 - 1900

  St. Silas was erected during 1864 and consecrated in September 1865, seating 1081 (Gores 1938). It stood on the corner of High Park Street and St. Silas Street. School buildings stood behind, in Pengwern Street. The church is known to have had a tower and a spire.

The church was damaged during WWII on 19 October 1940 and did not re-open until 6 December 1942. In the intervening period, baptisms were performed in the Mission Hall and marriages solemnized in other local churches. St Silas closed in 1952 and was demolished in 1954, the parish being amalgamated with that of St. Philemon in Windsor Street.

This was also the parish church of Ringo Starr.

  REF: 2860


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l8-st-philomena-with-st-silas-windsor-street-toxteth
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Philomen with St Silas Windsor Street, Toxteth, L.8 - 1900

 

  REF: 2859


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l8-st-pauls-belvidere-road-1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Paul's Church Belvidere Road, Dingle, L.8 - 1900

  The foundation stone of St. Paul's was laid on 9th September 1846 by the Rev. Hugh Mc'Neile. It was consecrated by the Archbishop of Canterbury elect, the Most Rev. Dr. J. B.Sumner on 02/03/1848.

It was design by Arthur Hill Holme in the 'Perpendicular Gothic', style.

It was not until 1854 that the district chapelry of St. Paul's, Prince's Park was formed out of the district parish of St. John the Baptist, Park Road, Dingle. A new chancel was consecrated by Lord Bishop of the Diocese on 10/12/1886.

St. Paul's Church of England School, opened in 1855 in nearby Byles Street.

The church, on the edge of Princes Park, was demolished in January 1975.

  REF: 2858


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l8-st-margarets-princes-avenue-toxteth-1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Margaret of Antioch Princes Avenue, Toxteth, L.8 - 1900

  The church was built in 1868?69 and designed by G. E. Street. It was paid for by Robert Horsfall, a local stockbroker and Anglo-Catholic.

The church became "the centre of Anglo-Catholicism in 19th-century Liverpool". In 1924?26 the Jesus Chapel, designed by Hubert B. Adderley, was added to the north of the church.

Antioch, in Turkey, was considered to be 'the cradle of Christianity'.

  REF: 2857


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l8-st-john-the-baptist-park-road-1832
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St John The Baptist Park Road, Dingle, L.8 - 1832

  ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST'S CHURCH, situated in Park-road, is a beautiful specimen of the old English style of ecclesiastical architecture, and was erected in 1832. Its shape is cruciform, and it is built of red stone, finished on all the sides with a battlement, and pinnacles at the angles. The side aisles and angles of the building are supported by buttresses, which are also terminated by pinnacles with crockets and finials. The entrances at the north, south, and west ends, are plain, having above the door way circular windows, lighting the staircases within, and small niches on each side. The upper part of the building is lighted by numerous small lancet windows near the roof, but the lower ones are large and circular-headed. The steeple is at the west end, and consists of a square tower, with buttresses at the angles, terminating in pinnacles, with large belfry windows, above which are the clock faces and a battlement. From this springs a plain octagonal spire. The interior has a striking appearance, the lofty roof, in which the rafters are shown, being supported on pointed arches, the piers of which are clustered. The aisles are separated from the nave by smaller stone arches, and the galleries are placed on cast iron pillars, at the extremities of the nave and transepts. The chancel window has three lancets, and before it is placed the pulpit, which is extremely light.

  REF: 2856


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l8-st-barnabas-parliament-street-1841
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Barnabas Parliament Street, Toxteth, L.8 - 1841

  ST. BARNABAS' CHURCH is situated at the bottom of Parliament-street, and was consecrated in June, 1841. It is built of red stone, and the workmanship is of a very superior description. It will accommodate about 1560 persons, and the interior is elegantly fitted up, with a due regard to convenience. The windows are of the lancet form, and between each of them, and at the angles are projecting buttresses, which are terminated by slender pinnacles. The steeple, which is 135 feet high, is at the south end, and the lower part is square, finished with pinnacles, cornice, &.C., having a clock face and belfry windows above the door. From this tower, springs a slender spire with small lancet loop-holes. The principal entrance is at the south end under the steeple.

  REF: 2855


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l8-st-agnes-church-ullet-road-1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Agnes Ullet Road, Dingle, L.8 - 1900

  This was erected, at a cost of 28,000, by Howard Douglas Horsfall, in memory of his father Robert Horsfall. He also founded St Chad's Theological College in Durham. Work began in 1883 on designs by J. L. Pearson who also designed Truro Cathedral. The church was completed and consecrated by Lord Bishop of Liverpool in January 1885.

As the parish expanded in the late 1800s the addition of a chapel of ease, St Pancras in Lidderdale Road, was also provided by Mr. Horsfall but after a decline in congregation numbers St Pancras was re-absorbed in 1937.

  REF: 2854


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l8-ancient-chapel-rear-park-road
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: Ancient Chapel of Toxteth Park Road, Dingle, L.8 - 1662

  view of the rear

  REF: 2853


Old Photos of Liverpool Churches

Select Liverpool Churches Initials:

A B C D E F
G H I J K L
M N O P Q R
S T U V W X
    Y Z    

Old Photos of Liverpool Churches

Select Liverpool Postcodes:

L1 L2 L3 L4 L5 L6
L7 L8 L9 L10 L11 L12
L13 L14 L15 L16 L17 L18
L19 L20 L21 L22 L23 L24
L25 L26 L27 L28 L29 L30
L31 L32 L33 L34 L35 L36
    L37 L38    

Search All Liverpool Churches


Search Liverpool Churches Index List

Custom Search Liverpool



What's New
     

Liverpool City Group - past and present
Liverpool City Group Home
  Customer Services
 
 
Liverpool City Group Home

Liverpool Churches Names Index