Old Photos of Liverpool, Maps and Old Liverpool Books

 Liverpool City Group
  past and present

 



Welcome to our extensive gallery of old images of Liverpool. Mostly, they have been collected from our extensive library of old Liverpool books, all of which have been out of circulation for more than a 100 years.

In order to make these very rare Liverpool books availability for you today, we have meticulously and faithfully reproduced them in epub eBook format so you can see and purchase them for your own collection in our shop

Results that match your search: 374


Pages: [<<] 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l1-lime-street-2-1890
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Wellington Monument Lime Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1890

  The foundation stone was laid on 1 May 1861 and completed towards the end of 1865. The foundations of the monument are in Runcorn sandstone, the pedestal is in granite, and the column itself is in Darley Dale stone. The overall height of the monument is 132 feet (40.2 m), the column being 81 feet (24.7 m) high and the statue 25 feet (7.6 m) high. It stands on a stepped base with a square pedestal. On each side of the pedestal is a bronze plaque; at the corners are bronze eagles joined by swags along the sides. Standing on the pedestal is a Roman Doric fluted column. Within the column are 169 steps leading up to a viewing platform. On top of the column is a cylinder surmounted by a cupola on which the bronze statue of the Duke stands. The statue is made from the melted-down bronze from cannons captured at the Battle of Waterloo. The Duke holds a scroll in his right hand, and his left hand rest on the hilt of his sword.

  REF: 330


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l1-lewiss-ranelagh-street-1883
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Lewis's Ranelagh Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1883

  The first Lewis's store was opened in 1856 in Liverpool by David Lewis. It was, initially, a men's and boys' clothing store with Lewis manufacturing his own stock. In 1864 Lewis's expanded to include women's clothing and in the 1870s the store expanded further and added other departments, including shoes in 1874 and tobacco in 1879. Also in 1879, Lewis's opened one of the world's first "Christmas grottoes" in Lewis's Bon Marché, Church Street, Liverpool. It was named "Christmas Fairyland".

  REF: 329


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l1-leeds-liverpool-canal-1950
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Leeds - Liverpool Canal , Centre-Town, L.1 - 1950

  The principal canals which more immediately affected the prosperity of Liverpool were the Grand Trunk or Trent and Mersey canal, begun in 1765 ; the Mersey and Calder canal, first projected in 1766, which gave direct water-communication between Liverpool and Hull ; the Leeds and Liverpool canal, begun in 1767 ; the Mersey and Severn canal, begun in 1792 ; and the Grand Junction canal, which linked up the whole northern canal system with the southern system and the Thames, giving through communication between Liverpool and London.

  REF: 328


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l1-landmarks-william-brown-st-library-c1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Walker Art Gallery, Museum, Library William Brown Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1900

  The generosity of Sir William Brown provided funds for the erection of a fine library and museum building in Shaw's Brow, then appropriately re-named William Brown Street, and to these beginnings new additions were quickly made. A large new circular reading room was added by the Town Council, and named in honour of Sir James Picton, and in 1873 Mr. A. B. Walker completed the group of buildings by presenting to the city a spacious gallery of art. The Walker Art Gallery was the first UK public art gallery.

  REF: 327


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l1-landmarks-the-ferry-2006
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Ferry across the Mersey , Centre-Town, L.1 - 2006

 

  REF: 326


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l1-landmarks-the-dockers-watch-2006
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Victoria Tower Salisbury Dock, Centre-North, L.1 - 2006

  Victoria Tower at Salisbury Dock, which was often referred to as the 'docker's clock', was built in 1847-48 as an aid to ships in the port, as it allowed them to set the correct time as they sailed out into the Irish Sea, while its bell warned of impending meteorological changes such as high tide and fog. Upon its completion is also served as a flat for the Pier Master

  REF: 325


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l1-landmarks-the-cunard-building-2006
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Cunard Building Pier Head, Centre-Town, L.1 - 2006

  Constructed between 1914 and 1917, it was the headquarters of Cunard Line until the 1960s. Today, the building is owned by the Merseyside Pension Fund and is home to numerous public and private sector organisations.

  REF: 324


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l1-landmarks-the-chinese-gate-nelson-street-2006
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Chinatown Gate Nelson Street, Centre-South, L.1 - 2000

  Chinatown is home to the oldest Chinese community in Europe. The arch located at the gateway is also the largest, multiple-span arch of its kind outside of China.

Initial construction began in October 1999 with the arrival of 20 specially selected craftmen from Liverpool's twin city of Shanghai and five large containers with 2,000 pieces.

Building of the arch took 90 days, finishing in 2000 and was officially opened on Chinese New Year at a final cost of £700,000.

  REF: 323


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l1-landmarks-st-johns-gardens-2006
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: St Johns Gardens , Centre-Town, L.1 - 2006

 

  REF: 322


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l1-landmarks-st-georges-hall-c1890
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: St Georges Hall , Centre-Town, L.1 - 1890

  There was the proposal to erect a worthy public hall for the city, to be called St. George's Hall. A subscription of £25,000 was raised, and the council voted the old site of the Royal Infirmary, which had recently moved up to Pembroke Place. Here began, above the rather slovenly but not unpicturesque houses which then occupied both sides of Shaw's Brow (now William Brown Street), that noble building, one of the noblest in the modern world, which is to-day the supreme architectural boast of the city. That it should have been so amply planned was evidence that a new spirit of civic pride was rising in the city. Its architect, Harvey Lonsdale Elmes, was a mere boy when his design was chosen, and he died before it was completed in 1854.

Note the tower of St Johns Church at the back where St Johns Gardens are today.

  REF: 321


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l1-landmarks-philharmonic-hall-hope-street-c1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Philharmonic Hall Hope Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1900

  This was the original concert hall until a fire broke out during the evening of 5 July 1933. As a result the hall was damaged beyond repair.

The present hall was officially opened on 19 June 1939.

  REF: 319


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l1-landmarks-mersey-tunnel-c1950
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Mersey (Queensway) Tunnel , Centre-Town, L.1 - 1950

  There are three tunnels: the Mersey Railway Tunnel (opened 1886), and two road tunnels, the Queensway Tunnel (opened 1934) and the Kingsway Tunnel (opened 1971). The railway tunnel and Queensway Tunnel connect Liverpool with Birkenhead, while the Kingsway Tunnel runs to Wallasey.

  REF: 318


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l1-landmarks-mersey-estuary-2006
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Rig Mersey Estuary, Centre-Town, L.1 - 2006

 

  REF: 317


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l1-landmarks-mersey-dock-and-harbour-board-offices-2006
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Mersey Dock and Harbour Board Offices Pier Head, Centre-Town, L.1 - 2006

  In 1905, at the end of her seventh century as a chartered borough, Liverpool finds herself amongst the three or four greatest ports of the world. She conducts one-third of the export trade, and one-fourth of the import trade, of the United Kingdom. She owns one-third of the total shipping of the kingdom, and one-seventh of the total registered shipping of the world. Liverpool ships are, on the average, of larger size than those of any other British port. But even taking that into account, these facts mean that of every ten ships that go to and fro on all the seas of all the world, one hails from Liverpool. In the midst of a fiercer competition than she has hitherto known, the port proclaims her confidence in the future by erecting for the new century a huge domed dock office at the gateway of the town, and a stately pillared cotton exchange near by ; two such palaces of trade as fifty years ago could scarcely have been dreamed of.

  REF: 316


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l1-landmarks-liverpool-canal-2006
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Liverpool Manchester Ship Canal , Centre-Town, L.1 - 2006

  In 1720 the river Douglas was made navigable from Wigan to the Ribble, thus enabling coals to be brought by water to Liverpool more cheaply than was possible by land. Two years later an act was passed for deepening the Mersey and Irwell beyond Warrington, so as to enable barges to go to Manchester, and in the following years the deepening of the Weaver as far as Nantwich made Cheshire salt vastly cheaper and more abundant.

  REF: 315


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l1-landmarks-lime-street-2006
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Great North Western Hotel Lime Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 2006

  The hotel was built in in 1871 as a railway hotel by the London and North Western Railway to serve Lime Street Station. It was designed by Alfred Waterhouse, and contained 330 rooms. The hotel closed in 1933 and remained empty and unused for over 60 years. In 1994 it was bought by John Moores University and, at a cost of £6 million, was converted into a hall of residence for students, which opened in 1996. It was built in the style of a French chateau.

  REF: 314


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l1-landmarks-goree-piazza-1913
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Goree Piazza , Centre-Town, L.1 - 1913

  Which was located at the Pier Head between Water Street and James Street.

  REF: 313


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l1-landmarks-dockland-2006
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Dockland , Centre-Town, L.1 - 2006

  Newly refurbished for the "City of Culture", 2008.

  REF: 312


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l1-landmarks-dale-street-1908
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Dale Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1908

  One of the original seven streets of Liverpool, dating from about 1257.

  REF: 311


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l1-landmarks-city-centre-2006
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: St. Johns Beacon Houghton Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 2006

  St. John's Beacon is a radio and observation tower, built in 1969 and opened by Queen Elizabeth II. It is 138 metres (452 ft) tall, and was built as a ventilation shaft for St. John's Market; however, it was never used as such.

Near the top of the tower was a revolving restaurant, the facade and floor of the restaurant revolving as one unit, while the roof of the restaurant was used as an observation platform for visitors. There are 558 stairs up to the top, and two lift shafts which reach the top in 30 seconds.

  REF: 310


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l1-landmarks-birkenhead-woodside-1930
Location: Wirral

Category: landmarks

Address: Woodside Birkenhead, , - 1930

  WOODSIDE is the most ancient of the ferries on the Mersey, and was owned by the Price family for more than 500 years. Though formerly merely a ferry house it grew to be the densely populated neighbourhood we know today.

  REF: 309


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l1-landmarks-anglican-cathedral-2006
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Anglican Cathedral St James Mount, Centre-South, L.1 - 2006

  Designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott, OM, FRIBA (9 November 1880 – 8 February 1960) who was born in London into a Roman Catholic family of architects.

He was only 21 years old when he won the competition to design the cathedral.

While working in Liverpool, Scott met and married Louise Wallbank Hughes, who was a receptionist at the Adelphi Hotel in the city centre and his mother was reportedly displeased to learn that she was a Protestant.

Perhaps most iconically, however, Sir Giles was also commissioned to design a telephone kiosk to commemorate the Jubilee of King George V. The Cathedral today proudly boasts one of his smallest creations, the resultant red K6 cast iron box being housed in his largest creation. No tourist visit to Liverpool Cathedral is complete without a picture of Sir Giles's red telephone boxes near to the tower complex.

The building of the Cathedral lasted the whole of Scott's life and he remained involved in the project until his death in 1960, refining the design as he went. He designed every aspect of the building down to the fine details. With the choir and the first pair of transepts completed, the cathedral was consecrated in 1924. The tower was finished in 1942 but the first bay of the Nave was not completed until 1961, after Scott had died. The Cathedral, the largest in the UK and the 5th largest in the world, was finally finished in 1978, faithful to his final design.

  REF: 308


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l1-landmarks-albert-dock-2006
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Albert Dock , Centre-Town, L.1 - 2006

  The Albert Dock was designed by Jesse Hartley and Philip Hardwick. It was opened in 1846, and was the first structure in Britain to be built entirely without wood and soley from cast iron, bricks and stone. The finished building was the first non-combustible warehouse system in the world.

At that time it was considered revolutionary because ships could load and unload directly to and from the warehouses. Two years later the world's first hydraulic cranes were added. Due to its open yet secure design, the Albert Dock was used to store valuable cargoes such as brandy, cotton, ivory, silk, sugar, tea and tobacco.

  REF: 307


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l1-church-street-woolworths-25-25a-1910
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: F. W. Woolworths Church Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1910

  This was the first branch of Woolworths to open in the UK

  REF: 306



Pages: [<<] 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8


Search More Images


Get to know the real authentic 'Old Liverpool' now by starting your own collection of 'Old Liverpool Books'

What's New
     

Liverpool City Group - past and present
Liverpool City Group Home
  Customer Services
 
 
Liverpool City Group Home

Liverpool City Group - Past and Present