Old Photos of Liverpool, Maps and Old Liverpool Books

 Liverpool City Group
  past and present

 



Welcome to our extensive gallery of old images of Liverpool. Mostly, they have been collected from our extensive library of old Liverpool books, all of which have been out of circulation for more than a 100 years.

In order to make these very rare Liverpool books availability for you today, we have meticulously and faithfully reproduced them in epub eBook format so you can see and purchase them for your own collection in our shop

Results that match your search: 374


Pages: [<<] 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [>>]

Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l1-british-home-stores-lord-street-1960
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: British Home Stores Lord Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1960

 

  REF: 3412


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l1-british-home-stores-lord-street-church-street
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: British Home Stores Church Street, Lord Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1950s

 

  REF: 3411


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l1-boots-church-street-hanover-street-1947
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Boots the Chemist Church Street, Hanover Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1947

 

  REF: 3410


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l1-bon-marche-1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Bon Marche Williamson Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1900

 

  REF: 3409


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l1-bold-street-lyceum-1958
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Lyceum Bold Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1958

  As described in "Bygone Liverpool" in the year 1913.

THIS handsome classical building, which was erected on the site of a timber-yard, was commenced in 1800 and completed in 1803. It was built from the design of T. Harrison, of Chester, and cost 11,000. It contains under one roof a news room, library, and of late years a club ; the library and news room are distinct institutions, with different proprietors and committees of management. The history of the library dates back to 1757, with the publication of the Monthly Review. Previous to the appearance of this magazine, a few gentlemen met at the house of a Mr. Everard for the discussion of literary matters, and they agreed to take the magazine and circulate it among the members of the little circle. Gradually other books were added, and on November 17, 1758, the coterie was able to issue its first catalogue of 450 volumes.

  REF: 3408


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l1-bold-street-berry-street-1958
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Bold Street, Berry Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1958

 

  REF: 3407


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l1-bold-street-1958
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Kardomah Bold Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1958

 

  REF: 3406


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l1-bold-street-1956
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Bold Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1956

 

  REF: 3405


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l1-bold-street-1910
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Bold Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1910

 

  REF: 3404


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l1-bluecoat-school-school-lane-1947
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Bluecoat School School Lane, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1947

 

  REF: 3403


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l1-blacklers-and-h-samuels-great-charlotte-street-1955
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Blacklers and H Samuels Great Charlotte Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1955

 

  REF: 3402


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l1-blacklers-great-charlotte-street-1954
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Blacklers Great Charlotte Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1954

 

  REF: 3401


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l1-blacklers-elliot-street-1947
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Blacklers Elliot Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1947

 

  REF: 3400


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l1-benns-gardens-chapel-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Benns Garden Chapel Renshaw Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1843

  As described in "Smith's Strangers Guide to Liverpool" in the year 1843

which is at present occupied by the Welsh Wesleyans, was the property of the Renshaw-street Unitarian congregation, who removed from it in 1811. It was erected in 1727, for the convenience of part of the congregation of Park chapel.

  REF: 3399


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l1-apothecaries-hall-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Apothecaries Hall Colquitt Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1843

  As described in "Smith's Strangers Guide to Liverpool" in the year 1843.

THE APOTHECARIES' COMPANY

was established for the purpose of supplying medicine, and drugs, both wholesale and retail, free from adulteration. Their premises are in Colquitt-street, and consist of a spacious building of a most elaborate and unique design. The front is of freestone and has four pilasters on the lower story, between which, are the door and windows. Over each of them, are two beautifully carved oxen, bearing a heavy pedestal. Between the pedestals is a light balustrade, the whole forming a balcony. On the four pedestals are colossal figures of Galen, Hippocrates, Esculapius and Hygeia. The upper part of the building is finished by an enriched frieze and heavy dentilled cornice, with an attic balustrade at the top. The interior is fitted up in the same elaborate style as the exterior, with light carving and gilding, and mahogany carvings in the form of Sphynxes. The manufactory is behind, and is of a most complete description. The design was that of Messrs. Cunningham and Holme, and the erection cost 20,000.

  REF: 3398


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l1-ancient-wishing-gate-1829
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Wishing Gate Waterfront, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1829

 

  REF: 3397


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l1-ancient-wishing-gate-1797
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Wishing Gate Waterfront, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1797

  As described in "Bygone Liverpool" in the year 1913

This picture shows the spot called the Wishing Gate, which site is now occupied by the Clarence Dock.

It was a favourite place to picnic ; and mothers, children, sweethearts, and friends assembled there to wave a parting farewell to their loved ones going down to the sea in ships.

  REF: 3396


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l1-adelphi-hotel-1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Adelphi Hotel Ranelagh Place, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1900

  As described in "A History of Liverpool" in the year 1907

After dinner an adjournment might be made to one of the two bowling greens in Mount Pleasant, or to the Ranelagh Gardens, on the site of the Adelphi Hotel, which were, from 1765 to the end of the century, a favourite place of resort : in the gardens were benches, on which one could sit to gaze at displays of fireworks, and listen to a small orchestra : the performance usually began at 6 p.m. More vigorous sport was provided by the archery ground in Cazneau Street, which was, however, closed in 1798 ; or in following the Liverpool harriers, whose kennels lay, in 1775, near the bottom of Richmond Row.

  REF: 3395


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l7-childrens-hospital-myrtle-street-1907
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Childrens Hospital Myrtle Street, Centre-Town, L.7 - 1907

 

  REF: 362


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l8-david-lewis-hostel-and-club
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: David Lewis Hostel and Club Great George Street, Dingle, L.8 - 1906

  The building was erected in 1906 as a hostel, club and theatre, built by philanthropist David Lewis of Lewis's stores.

  REF: 361


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l8-florence-institute-for-boys-mill-street
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Florence Institute for Boys Mill Street, Dingle, L.8 - 1900

 

  REF: 360


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l17-the-mayfair-aigburth-road
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Mayfair Aigburth Road, Aigburth, L17 - 1940

 

  REF: 359


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l7-royal-hippodrome-west-derby-road-1940
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Hippodrome, The Royal West Derby Road, Fairfield, L.7 - 1940

 

  REF: 358


Liverpool, landmarks, pumphouse-langton-dock-bootle
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Langton Dock Pumphouse , Bootle, L20 - 2006

 

  REF: 357


Liverpool, landmarks, the-liverpool-exhibition-08-05-1886
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Liverpool Exhibition Edge Lane, Edge Hill, L.7 - 1886

 

  REF: 356


Liverpool, landmarks, victoria-road-bootle-19th-c
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Bootle Village Victoria Road, Bootle, L20 - 1880

 

  REF: 355


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-pier-head-canal-link
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Canal Link Pier Head, Centre-Town, L.1 - 2012

 

  REF: 354


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l37-freshfield-the-pine-woods-1940
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Pine Woods Freshfield, Formby, L37 - 1940

  This is a section of the Mersey Forest, known as Formby Woods, a community forest known for being a habitat of rare red squirrels, with a reserve managed by the National Trust.

  REF: 353


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l25-gateacre-post-office-1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Post Office , Gateacre, L25 - 1900

 

  REF: 352


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l24-landmarks-john-lennon-airport-2006
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: John Lennon Airport , Speke, L24 - 2006

  Built in part of the grounds of Speke Hall, Liverpool (Speke) Airport, as the airport was originally known, started scheduled flights in 1930 with a service by Imperial Airways via Barton Aerodrome near Eccles, Manchester and Castle Bromwich Aerodrome Birmingham to Croydon Airport near London. The airport was officially opened in mid-1933. By the late 1930s, air traffic from Liverpool was beginning to take off with increasing demand for Irish Sea crossings, and a distinctive passenger terminal, control tower and two large aircraft hangars were built.

During World War II, the airport was taken over by the Royal Air Force and known as RAF Speke. Rootes built many bombers in a "shadow factory" here, including Bristol Blenheims and 1,070 Handley Page Halifaxes. Lockheed Aircraft Corporation assembled many types including Hudsons and Mustangs, that had been shipped from the United States to Liverpool Docks. The airport was also home to the Merchant Ship Fighter Unit.

  REF: 351


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l23-landmarks-crosby-beach-2-2006
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Crosby Beach, Another Place , Crosby, L23 - 2006

  Another Place consists of 100, 650 kilos, cast-iron, life-size figures spread out along three kilometres of the foreshore, stretching almost one kilometre out to sea.

  REF: 350


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l20-bootle-town-hall
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: BootleTown Hall Oriel Road, Bootle, L20 - 2008

  Bootle's town hall and other municipal buildings were erected in the last quarter of the 19th century. The population of the town swelled during this period, boosted by Irish immigration and the attraction of plentiful work on the docks.

Bootle was remarkable in other, more positive ways. It was the first borough to elect its own school board, following the passage of Forster's Education Act of 1870. In 1872 Dr R.J. Sprakeling was appointed the first Medical Officer of Health, and was instrumental in improving sanitary conditions in the town. The Metropole Theatre on Stanley Road played host to stars such as music hall singer Marie Lloyd. The emporia in the Stanley Road and Strand Road areas of the town were filled with goods from all over the British Empire. Tree lined streets surrounded magnificent open spaces, such as Derby Park, North Park and South Park. Beautiful Roman Catholic and Anglican churches sprang up all over the town, and Welsh immigration brought with it Nonconformist chapels and the temperance movement. Local societies thrived, including sports teams, scouts and musical groups. The Bootle May Day carnival and the crowning of the 'May Queen' were real highlights of the social year. The town successfully fought against absorption by neighbouring Liverpool in 1903.

The docks made Bootle a target for Nazi German Luftwaffe bombers during the Liverpool Blitz of the Second World War, with approximately 90% of the houses in the town damaged. Situated immediately adjoining the city of Liverpool, and the site of numerous docks, Bootle had the distinction of being the most heavily-bombed borough in the UK

  REF: 349


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l20-bootle-social-centre-marsh-lane-c1950s
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Social Centre , Bootle, L20 - 1950

 

  REF: 348


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l20-bootle-odeon-c1970s
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Odeon , Bootle, L20 - 1970

 

  REF: 347


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l20-bootle-metropole-theatre-1911
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Metropole Theatre Stanley Road, Bootle, L20 - 1911

 

  REF: 346


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l20-bootle-king-george-vi-club-knowsley-road-1956
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: King George VI Club Knowsley Road, Bootle, L20 - 1956

 

  REF: 345


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l20-bootle-johnson-brothers-linacre-road-1912
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Johnson Brothers Linacre Road, Bootle, L20 - 1912

  The origins of the drycleaning business go back to 1817 when Johnson Brothers started in business in Liverpool as silk dyers. In 1920, Johnson Brothers joined forces with two drycleaning companies, Jas Smith & Son and Flinn & Son Ltd of Brighton and "Johnson's the Cleaners" was born.

  REF: 344


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l20-bootle-hospital-1910
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Bootle Hospital , Bootle, L20 - 1910

  On 3 May 1941 Huskisson Branch Dock Number 2 was the site of the SS Malakand explosion during the Liverpool Blitz, when 1,000 tons of explosives on board the ship were ignited during an air raid. Four people were killed and debris from the ship was strewn up to 2.5 miles away. The two ton anchor stock from the ship landed outside Bootle General Hospital, Derby Road, 1.5 miles from the scene.

  REF: 343


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l20-bootle-cricket-ground-1902
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Bootle Cricket Club Ground Hawthorne Road, Bootle, L20 - 1902

 

  REF: 342


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l20-bootle-cricket-ground-club-house-1902
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Bootle Cricket Club House Hawthorne Road, Bootle, L20 - 1902

  Hawthorne Road still exists to-day as home of Bootle Cricket Club. Bootle AFC were founded in 1879 and moved to Hawthorne Rd, along with the Cricket Club in 1883.The former home of both clubs was the Irlam Rd in Bootle.

  REF: 341


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l17-landmarks-sefton-park-palm-house-c1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Palm House Sefton Park, Aigburth, L17 - 1900

  This is a three-tier dome conservatory palm house designed and built by MacKenzie and Moncur of Edinburgh which opened in 1896. Liverpool millionaire Henry Yates Thompson (the great nephew of the founder of Princes Park) gifted 10,000 to the city to fund the construction.

  REF: 340


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l17-landmarks-otterspool-c1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Otterspool , Aigburth, L17 - 1900

  before the promenade was even thought of.

  REF: 339


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l16-childwall-childwall-abbey-hotel-c1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Childwall Abbey Hotel Childwall Abbey Road, Childwall, L16 - 1900

  The Childwall Abbey hotel, with a possible date in the 15th Century, is the oldest part of the village and was once the property of the Marquis of Salisbury. In the mid 1800s the village of Childwall was a favourite place of holiday resort with the inhabitants of Liverpool.

  REF: 338


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l8-landmarks-overhead-railway-c1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Overhead Railway Dock Road, Centre-South, L.8 - 1900

  In 1893 the world's first electric elevated urban railway, the Liverpool Overhead Railway was opened. It ran from Dingle, in the south (the station was a the bottom of Park Road, next to the Gaumont cinema), along the length of the Dock Road to Seaforth, in the north. It boasted the world's first all-electric colour light signalling system. Affectionately known as "The Docker's Umbrella" it provided passage to all the docks until 1955 when a report into the structure of the viaduct showed major repairs were needed that the company could not afford. The railway closed at the end of 1956 and the structure was dismantled the following year.

  REF: 337


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l6-landmarks-seamans-orphanage-newsham-park-c1890
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Seamans Orphanage Newsham Park, Fairfield, L.6 - 1890

 

  REF: 336


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l3-metropolitan-cathedral-of-christ-the-king-mount-pleasant-2005
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Metropolitan Cathedral of Christ the King Mount Pleasant, Centre-Town, L.3 - 2005

  Construction began in 1962, and took five years.

It is sometimes known locally as "Paddy's Wigwam" or the "Mersey Funnel".

  REF: 335


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l2-landmarks-the-town-hall-2006
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Town Hall High Street, Centre-Town, L.2 - 2006

  THE restoration and enlargement of the third Town Hall occupied a quarter of a century, and were carried out with great care and good judgment. The main walls of the old building were retained, and the additions, with the exception of the dome, were executed in the same style, under the superintendence of the London architect, James Wyatt. The dome and cupola, lighted with windows, and surmounted by a figure of Britannia - measuring 12 feet high, executed by the celebrated sculptor Richard Westmacott, R.A., and costing 400 - were completed in the year 1802 ; about the same time, the four statues, representing the four seasons, also by Westmacott, which still surmount the north facade, were placed in position at a cost of 500. The projecting portico and arcade at the front were finished in 1811, and the whole building was regarded as finished in the year 1820.

On account of its increased size and altered appearance it is generally spoken of as the fourth Town Hall, and with the exception of a few minor alterations which have been carried out from time to time, the building is the same externally now as it was then.

It is one of Liverpool's noblest and most elegant buildings, in the very centre of Liverpool's vast commercial activities ; and the pride which it inspired in our ancestors still lives in the veneration with which it is regarded by the citizens to-day.

  REF: 334


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l2-landmarks-queen-victoria-memorial-1906
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Queen Victoria Memorial Castle Street, Centre-Town, L.2 - 1906

  was erected in 1902 at the end of Castle Street on the site of the old St George's church which was itself, erected in 1825 on the site of the original St George's church which was consecrated in 1734 on the site of the castle of Liverpool which was built between 1232 and 1237 and finally demolished in 1726.

  REF: 333


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l1-technical-school-museum-library-c1910
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Technical School, Museum and Library William Brown Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1910

 

  REF: 332


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l1-lime-street-empire-theatre-c1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Empire Theatre Lime Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1900

  The theatre is the second to be built on the site, and was opened in 1925. It has the largest two-tier auditorium in Britain and can seat 2,350 people.

  REF: 331



Pages: [<<] 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [>>]


Search More Images


Get to know the real authentic 'Old Liverpool' now by starting your own collection of 'Old Liverpool Books'

What's New
     

Liverpool City Group - past and present
Liverpool City Group Home
  Customer Services
 
 
Liverpool City Group Home

Liverpool City Group - Past and Present