Old Photos of Liverpool, Maps and Old Liverpool Books

 Liverpool City Group
  past and present

 



Welcome to our extensive gallery of old images of Liverpool. Mostly, they have been collected from our extensive library of old Liverpool books, all of which have been out of circulation for more than a 100 years.

In order to make these very rare Liverpool books availability for you today, we have meticulously and faithfully reproduced them in epub eBook format so you can see and purchase them for your own collection in our shop

Results that match your search: 42

Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-st-nicholas-church-and-the-last-of-tower-buildings-8.1x10.6-300
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: St Nicholas church and the last of Tower Buildings , Centre-Town, L.2 - 1907

  As described in "Liverpool Artist - J. Hamilton Hay"

  REF: 4982


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-st-johns-market-8.1x10.6-300
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: The Interior St John's Market, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1907

  As described in "Liverpool Artist - J. Hamilton Hay"

  REF: 4981


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-custom-house-from-the-salthouse-dock-9.8x8.6-300
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: The Custom House Salthouse Dock, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1907

  Painted by Liverpool Artist - J. Hamilton Hay

At the other end of Castle Street, the Old Dock, after more than a century's service, was filled in in 1826, and on its site was erected a fine pillared and domed Custom-house, from the designs of Mr. John Foster, the town surveyor ; the site, and a substantial part of the cost, being provided by the Council, while the remainder was contributed by government. This is now the site of the Liverpool One shopping complex.

  REF: 4884


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l23-blundellsands-1910
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: The Shore , Blundellsands, L23 - 1910

 

  REF: 4720


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l1-st-georges-hall-2-c1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: St Georges Hall St Georges Plateau, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1900

 

  REF: 4718


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l25-strawberry-fields-house-beaconsfield-road
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Strawberry Field House Beaconsfield Road, Woolton, L25 - 1900

 

  REF: 3648


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l24-speke-hall-road-1961
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Speke Hall Road, Speke, L24 - 1961

 

  REF: 3634


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l24-speke-industrial-estate-edwards-lane-speke-1946
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Speke Industrial Estate Edwards Lane, Speke, L24 - 1946

 

  REF: 3632


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l24-speke-hall-3
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Speke Hall , Speke, L24 - 1900

 

  REF: 3631


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l24-cottages-speke-village-1938
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Speke Village , Speke, L24 - 1938

 

  REF: 3630


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l18-smithdown-road-tram-shelter-1899
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Smithdown Road Tram Shelter Smithdown Road, Allerton, L18 - 1899

 

  REF: 3604


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l17-st-agnes-church-sefton-park-1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: St Agnes Church Sefton Park, Aigburth, L17 - 1900

 

  REF: 3596


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l17-the-pirate-ship-sefton-park-1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: The Pirate Ship Sefton Park, Aigburth, L17 - 1900

 

  REF: 3595


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l17-the-fountain-sefton-park-1910
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: The Fountain Sefton Park, Aigburth, L17 - 1910

 

  REF: 3594


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l17-the-goats-statue-sefton-park-1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: The Goats Statue Sefton Park, Aigburth, L17 - 1900

 

  REF: 3593


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l17-the-aviary-sefton-park-1950
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Sefton Park Aviary Sefton Park, Aigburth, L17 - 1950

 

  REF: 3590


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l17-sefton-park-station-1909
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Sefton Park Station Sefton Park, Aigburth, L17 - 1909

 

  REF: 3589


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l17-sefton-park-2-1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Sefton Park, Aigburth, L17 - 1900

 

  REF: 3588


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l17-fountain-sefton-park-1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: The Fountain Sefton Park, Aigburth, L17 - 1900

 

  REF: 3583


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l8-st-margarets-school-princes-road-1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: St Margarets School Princes Road, Toxteth, L.8 - 1900

 

  REF: 3559


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l4-stanley-park-2-1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Stanley Park , Anfield, L.4 - 1900

 

  REF: 3539


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l4-stanley-park-1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Stanley Park , Anfield, L.4 - 1900

 

  REF: 3538


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l3-st-nicholas-church-2-1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: St Nicholas Church Chapel Street, Centre-Town, L.3 - 1900

 

  REF: 3535


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l1-st-peters-church-church-street-1919
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: St Peters Church Church Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1919

  As described in "Smith's Strangers Guide to Liverpool" in the year 1843

situated in Church-street, is next in point of antiquity, and is supposed to be the first parish church erected in Lancashire after the Reformation. It was built by assessment in 1700, and was consecrated in 1704. The exterior is plain, of dark stone, and at the west end is a tower 108 feet high, the upper part of which is octangular, each angle being surmounted by a pinnacle in the shape of a candlestick. The clock is illuminated with gas, and there is in the tower a peal of ten bells. Each of the four portals, the designs of which were obtained from London, is of a different style of architecture.

The interior of the church is plain, and has the appearance of considerable antiquity ; the galleries being supported on oak pedestals, richly carved, on each of which rests a slender column supporting the roof. Behind the altar is a piece of elaborate carving in brown oak ; and over it, in the altar window, a representation of St. Peter. At the west end is an upper gallery, the centre of which is occupied by the organ, and the side parts are appropriated to the children of the Blue Coat Hospital.

The principal monuments are, one at the south side of the church, in memory of Foster Cunliffe, Esq., who died in 1758; and another at the east end of the church, marked by costliness rather than beauty, in memory of William Lawley, Esq. The church is 86 feet 9 inches long, and 67 feet 2 inches wide, and will accommodate 1,287 persons.

  REF: 3503


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l1-st-lukes-church-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: St Lukes Church Berry Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1843

  As described in "Smith's Strangers Guide to Liverpool" in the year 1843

at the corner of Berry-street and Leigh-street, forms a prominent object from the whole length of Bold-street. The foundation stone was laid in April, 1811, but owing to a variety of unavoidable circumstances it was not opened till 1831. The sum of 44,110 was expended by the corporation on its erection, from the design of John Foster, Esq. It is a beautiful specimen of the Gothic style of the fourteenth century, constructed entirely of white stone ; and a considerable amount of ornament, both internally and externally, has been successfully introduced.

The tower, which is at the west end, is 137 feet high, and has octagonal turrets at the angles, perforated by pointed loop-holes, with rich labels, and finished with embrasures. The beautiful proportions of the lofty windows add greatly to the appearance of the tower. The sides of the building are supported by buttresses, finished with pinnacles, and the windows between them are of three compartments, with tracery heads. The cornice is surmounted by moulded embrasures. The east window in the chancel has a pleasing appearance, and harmonises well with the richness of the panelling, the octagonal-headed turrets, and the open quatrefoil blocking at this end of the building.

The interior is finished in a manner corresponding with the exterior of the edifice. There are no side galleries, and only a small one at the west end for the organ and choir. The ceiling is richly panelled in the centre, and groined at the sides, the intersections being filled up with foliage, drops, and open bosses. The ceiling of the chancel is also groined and divided from the body of the church by a bold arch. This church will accommodate about 2,000 persons in the area, including the chancel. The windows are ornamented with stained glass, and contain the armorial bearings of each member of the old corporation. The west entrances are approached by a broad flight of stone steps, and the church-yard is enclosed by handsome iron railings, with lofty pinnacled piers.

It was bombed during WWII and although the walls survived, the interior was destroyed.

  REF: 3502


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l1-st-johns-market-1909
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: St Johns Market , Centre-Town, L.1 - 1909

 

  REF: 3501


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l1-st-johns-lane-1947
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: St Johns Lane, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1947

 

  REF: 3500


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l1-st-johns-gardens-2006
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: St Johns Gardens St Johns Lane, Centre-Town, L.1 - 2006

 

  REF: 3498


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l1-st-johns-beacon-2006
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: St Johns Beacon St Johns Precinct, Centre-Town, L.1 - 2006

 

  REF: 3497


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l1-st-james-cemetery-1836
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: St James Cemetery St James Mount, Centre-South, L.1 - 1836

 

  REF: 3496


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l1-st-georges-hall-great hall-2006
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: St Georges Hall Interior, The Great Hall Lime Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 2006

 

  REF: 3495


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l1-st-georges-hall-1835
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: St Georges Hall Lime Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1835

  As described in "Bygone Liverpool" in the year 1913

ON the Coronation day of Queen Victoria, June 28, 1838, the foundation stone of the building was laid by Mr. William Rathbone, the Mayor. The design was altered during the progress of the building, and in October 1851, the hall was still in an incomplete state when visited by the Queen and the Prince Consort.

The hall was opened September 18, 1854, by the Mayor, Mr. John Buck Lloyd, and the Town Council. The architect was Harvey Lonsdale Elmes, whose design was accepted in open competition. He died in the year 1847, and the work was finished, including much original decorative detail, by C. R. Cockerell.

Although this image is dated 1835, which was before the hall was built, it was probably painted from the architects drawings which was common practice in those days.

  REF: 3494


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l1-st-georges-crescent-and-lord-street-1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: St Georges Crescent Lord Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1900

  As described in "Bygone Liverpool" in the year 1913

ON November 2, 1825, just forty years after the date of the first Improvement Act of 1785, the Council resolved to apply for an Act for opening and widening Lord Street, Castle Ditch, Pool Lane, and other places, where the houses were old and had become dilapidated, whilst the streets were very narrow and unsuitable for the growing commerce and population of the town. The Act having been obtained, the houses of the Castle Ditch, opposite to St. George's Church, were demolished, and the building of St. George's Crescent was commenced in May of 1827.

The appearance of the town was greatly improved by the erection of these handsome buildings, and the great improvement will be noticed by referring to Plate xliii. These very necessary improvements cost the town the large sum of 170,000. But it was money well spent, and a writer of the period says, " We congratulate the Town and Corporation of Liverpool on the happy issue of their recent exertions for its improvement, which have invested it with a grandeur and magnificence that will enable it to contest the palm of enterprise with the Metropolis itself."

  REF: 3493


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l1-sessions-house-1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Sessions House William Brown Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1900

 

  REF: 3492


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l1-salthouse-dock-1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Salthouse Dock Waterfront, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1900

  As described in "A History of Liverpool" in the year 1907

The filling up of the Pool removed another and still more noteworthy landmark of mediaeval Liverpool : a geographical feature which had caused the first origins of the town. Had it been maintained and walled in, it would greatly have added to the town's picturesqueness ; but it would not be fair on this account to fall short in respect to the townsmen whose spirited enterprise at once turned Liverpool into the best and safest port in the kingdom, and gave it an immense impetus on its career. So valuable did the dock prove to be that it was immediately added to by the creation of a tidal basin or ' dry dock,' to the north of it ; while in 1734 a new dock to the south was begun, which (not being built in a natural inlet) took nineteen years to build. Primarily intended for the Cheshire salt-trade, it stood beside a great saltworks which had for some time existed on the waste ground south of the Pool, and thus obtained the name of the Salthouse dock.

  REF: 3491


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l1-sailors-home-interior1969
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Sailors Home Interior Hanover Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1969

 

  REF: 3490


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l1-sailors-home-1850
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Sailors Home Hanover Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1850

  As described in "Bygone Liverpool" in the year 1913

The foundation stone of the Sailors' Home was laid by Prince Albert on July 31, 1846. The home was built at the instigation of James Aikin, its first chairman, and his efforts were ably seconded by a number of Liverpool gentlemen, prompted by a desire "to improve the conditions of life of British seamen, and to arrest them from corrupting influences."

  REF: 3489


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l20-bootle-social-centre-marsh-lane-c1950s
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Social Centre , Bootle, L20 - 1950

 

  REF: 348


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l6-landmarks-seamans-orphanage-newsham-park-c1890
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Seamans Orphanage Newsham Park, Fairfield, L.6 - 1890

 

  REF: 336


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l1-landmarks-st-johns-gardens-2006
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: St Johns Gardens , Centre-Town, L.1 - 2006

 

  REF: 322


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l1-landmarks-st-georges-hall-c1890
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: St Georges Hall , Centre-Town, L.1 - 1890

  There was the proposal to erect a worthy public hall for the city, to be called St. George's Hall. A subscription of 25,000 was raised, and the council voted the old site of the Royal Infirmary, which had recently moved up to Pembroke Place. Here began, above the rather slovenly but not unpicturesque houses which then occupied both sides of Shaw's Brow (now William Brown Street), that noble building, one of the noblest in the modern world, which is to-day the supreme architectural boast of the city. That it should have been so amply planned was evidence that a new spirit of civic pride was rising in the city. Its architect, Harvey Lonsdale Elmes, was a mere boy when his design was chosen, and he died before it was completed in 1854.

Note the tower of St Johns Church at the back where St Johns Gardens are today.

  REF: 321


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l1-landmarks-city-centre-2006
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: St. Johns Beacon Houghton Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 2006

  St. John's Beacon is a radio and observation tower, built in 1969 and opened by Queen Elizabeth II. It is 138 metres (452 ft) tall, and was built as a ventilation shaft for St. John's Market; however, it was never used as such.

Near the top of the tower was a revolving restaurant, the facade and floor of the restaurant revolving as one unit, while the roof of the restaurant was used as an observation platform for visitors. There are 558 stairs up to the top, and two lift shafts which reach the top in 30 seconds.

  REF: 310



Search More Images


Get to know the real authentic 'Old Liverpool' now by starting your own collection of 'Old Liverpool Books'

What's New
     

Liverpool City Group - past and present
Liverpool City Group Home
  Customer Services
 
 
Liverpool City Group Home

Liverpool City Group - Past and Present