Old Photos of Liverpool, Maps and Old Liverpool Books

 Liverpool City Group
  past and present

 



Welcome to our extensive gallery of old images of Liverpool. Mostly, they have been collected from our extensive library of old Liverpool books, all of which have been out of circulation for more than a 100 years.

In order to make these very rare Liverpool books availability for you today, we have meticulously and faithfully reproduced them in epub eBook format so you can see and purchase them for your own collection in our shop

Results that match your search: 16

Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-the-albert-dock-12.4x9.2-300
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Twilight The Albert Dock, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1907

  As described in "Liverpool Artist - J. Hamilton Hay"

  REF: 4984


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l1-aerial-view
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Aerial View , Centre-Town, L.1 - 1950s

 

  REF: 4716


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l25-woolton-street-allerton-road-c1895
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Woolton Street, Allerton Road, Woolton, L25 - 1895

 

  REF: 3659


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l25-allerton-station-woolton-road-woolton-1959
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Allerton Station Woolton Road, Woolton, L25 - 1959

 

  REF: 3642


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l24-aircraft-factory-speke-hall-avenue-1938
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Aircraft Factory Speke Hall Road, Speke, L24 - 1938

 

  REF: 3629


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l20-alexandra-dock-station-bootle
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Alexandra Dock Railway Station Alexandra Dock, Bootle, L20 - 1900

 

  REF: 3609


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l18-allerton-golf-course-1934
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Allerton Golf Course , Allerton, L18 - 1934

 

  REF: 3599


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l18-allerton-cemetery-1909
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Allerton Cemetery , Allerton, L18 - 1909

 

  REF: 3598


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l17-aigburth-vale-1927
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Aigburth Vale, Aigburth, L17 - 1927

 

  REF: 3582


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l17-aigburth-hall-aigburth-road-1908
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Aigburth Hall Aigburth Road, Aigburth, L17 - 1908

 

  REF: 3580


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l15-the-abbey-wavertree-1939
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Abbey Childwall Road, Wavertree, L15 - 1939

 

  REF: 3573


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l7-convent-edge-lane-1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Adoration Reparatrice, Chapel and Convent Rear View, Edge Lane, Edge Hill, L.7 - 1900

 

  REF: 3544


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l1-apothecaries-hall-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Apothecaries Hall Colquitt Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1843

  As described in "Smith's Strangers Guide to Liverpool" in the year 1843.

THE APOTHECARIES' COMPANY

was established for the purpose of supplying medicine, and drugs, both wholesale and retail, free from adulteration. Their premises are in Colquitt-street, and consist of a spacious building of a most elaborate and unique design. The front is of freestone and has four pilasters on the lower story, between which, are the door and windows. Over each of them, are two beautifully carved oxen, bearing a heavy pedestal. Between the pedestals is a light balustrade, the whole forming a balcony. On the four pedestals are colossal figures of Galen, Hippocrates, Esculapius and Hygeia. The upper part of the building is finished by an enriched frieze and heavy dentilled cornice, with an attic balustrade at the top. The interior is fitted up in the same elaborate style as the exterior, with light carving and gilding, and mahogany carvings in the form of Sphynxes. The manufactory is behind, and is of a most complete description. The design was that of Messrs. Cunningham and Holme, and the erection cost 20,000.

  REF: 3398


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-landmarks-l1-adelphi-hotel-1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Adelphi Hotel Ranelagh Place, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1900

  As described in "A History of Liverpool" in the year 1907

After dinner an adjournment might be made to one of the two bowling greens in Mount Pleasant, or to the Ranelagh Gardens, on the site of the Adelphi Hotel, which were, from 1765 to the end of the century, a favourite place of resort : in the gardens were benches, on which one could sit to gaze at displays of fireworks, and listen to a small orchestra : the performance usually began at 6 p.m. More vigorous sport was provided by the archery ground in Cazneau Street, which was, however, closed in 1798 ; or in following the Liverpool harriers, whose kennels lay, in 1775, near the bottom of Richmond Row.

  REF: 3395


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l1-landmarks-anglican-cathedral-2006
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Anglican Cathedral St James Mount, Centre-South, L.1 - 2006

  Designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott, OM, FRIBA (9 November 1880 8 February 1960) who was born in London into a Roman Catholic family of architects.

He was only 21 years old when he won the competition to design the cathedral.

While working in Liverpool, Scott met and married Louise Wallbank Hughes, who was a receptionist at the Adelphi Hotel in the city centre and his mother was reportedly displeased to learn that she was a Protestant.

Perhaps most iconically, however, Sir Giles was also commissioned to design a telephone kiosk to commemorate the Jubilee of King George V. The Cathedral today proudly boasts one of his smallest creations, the resultant red K6 cast iron box being housed in his largest creation. No tourist visit to Liverpool Cathedral is complete without a picture of Sir Giles's red telephone boxes near to the tower complex.

The building of the Cathedral lasted the whole of Scott's life and he remained involved in the project until his death in 1960, refining the design as he went. He designed every aspect of the building down to the fine details. With the choir and the first pair of transepts completed, the cathedral was consecrated in 1924. The tower was finished in 1942 but the first bay of the Nave was not completed until 1961, after Scott had died. The Cathedral, the largest in the UK and the 5th largest in the world, was finally finished in 1978, faithful to his final design.

  REF: 308


Liverpool, landmarks, liverpool-l1-landmarks-albert-dock-2006
Location: Liverpool

Category: landmarks

Address: Albert Dock , Centre-Town, L.1 - 2006

  The Albert Dock was designed by Jesse Hartley and Philip Hardwick. It was opened in 1846, and was the first structure in Britain to be built entirely without wood and soley from cast iron, bricks and stone. The finished building was the first non-combustible warehouse system in the world.

At that time it was considered revolutionary because ships could load and unload directly to and from the warehouses. Two years later the world's first hydraulic cranes were added. Due to its open yet secure design, the Albert Dock was used to store valuable cargoes such as brandy, cotton, ivory, silk, sugar, tea and tobacco.

  REF: 307



Search More Images


Get to know the real authentic 'Old Liverpool' now by starting your own collection of 'Old Liverpool Books'

What's New
     

Liverpool City Group - past and present
Liverpool City Group Home
  Customer Services
 
 
Liverpool City Group Home

Liverpool City Group - Past and Present