Old Photos of Liverpool, Maps and Old Liverpool Books

 Liverpool City Group
  past and present

 



Welcome to our extensive gallery of old images of Liverpool. Mostly, they have been collected from our extensive library of old Liverpool books, all of which have been out of circulation for more than a 100 years.

In order to make these very rare Liverpool books availability for you today, we have meticulously and faithfully reproduced them in epub eBook format so you can see and purchase them for your own collection in our shop

Results that match your search: 1199


Pages: [<<] ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [>>]

Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-georges-dock-1860
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Georges Dock, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1860

  As described in "Smith's Strangers Guide to Liverpool" in the year 1843

GEORGE'S DOCK.

In 1762 an act was obtained for the erection of this dock, which was completed at an expense of 20,000 in 1771. It is usually appropriated to vessels of the larger description, and the same regulations are observed respecting the sides of the dock on which they are loaded and discharged, as already noticed for Prince's Dock. At the south end is a large vessel fitted up as a church for the use of seamen ; but there is some prospect of its place being supplied by a substantial erection on land, in the immediate neighbourhood.

The Manchester New Quay Company's basin and sheds occupy the space next to George's Dock.

  REF: 3776


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-georges-dock-basin-3-c1800
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Basin Georges Dock, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1800

 

  REF: 3775


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-georges-dock-basin-2-c1800
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Basin Georges Dock, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1800

 

  REF: 3774


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-georges-dock-basin-c1800
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Basin Georges Dock, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1800

  As described in "Smith's Strangers Guide to Liverpool" in the year 1843

GEOEGE'S DOCK BASIN

is situated between Prince's and George's Docks, opposite St. Nicholas' Church, and is connected with them both. George's Pier, at high water, presents the liveliest scene to be found in the neighbourhood of the docks, as nearly all the steamers belonging to the port, as well as the numerous ferry boats, &c., make this pier, and the slips attached to it, their place of landing. Opposite the broad steps a floating landing stage is moored, which is connected with the pier at low water, for the convenience of passengers by the ferry and other steamers.

  REF: 3773


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-free-library-and-museum-1895
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Free Library and Museum William Brown Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1895

 

  REF: 3772


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-free-library-1875
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Free Library William Brown Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1875

  As described in "Liverpool Artist - J. Hamilton Hay"

The generosity of Sir William Brown provided funds for the erection of a fine library and museum building in Shaw's Brow, then appropriately re-named William Brown Street, and to these beginnings new additions were quickly made. A large new circular reading room was added by the Town Council, and named in honour of Sir James Picton, and in 1873 Mr. A. B. Walker completed the group of buildings by presenting to the city a spacious gallery of art. The Walker Art Gallery was the first UK public art gallery.

  REF: 3771


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-fish-market-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Fish Market Great Charlotte Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1843

  As described in "Smith's Strangers Guide to Liverpool" in the year 1843

ST. JOHN'S FISH MARKET

is situated on the opposite side of Great Charlotte-street, and was opened on 8th February, 1837. It contains nineteen commodious shops, fifty-six stalls, and twenty-two vaults underneath. The building has a handsome front which is rather elevated above the level of the street, and is entered by two flights of steps. It is entirely appropriated to the sale of fish, and the tables of the principal stalls are of white marble. The regulations regarding cleanliness are strictly enforced by the market constables, and from the lofty and airy construction of the building, the nerves of the most delicate need not be offended on entering this market.

  REF: 3770


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-ferry-house-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Ferry House , Centre-Town, L.1 - 1843

 

  REF: 3769


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-ferry-boats
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Ferry Boats , Centre-Town, L.1 -

 

  REF: 3768


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-fenwicke-street-doorway-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: A Doorway Fenwick Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1843

 

  REF: 3767


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-fenwicke-street-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Fenwick Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1843

 

  REF: 3766


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-female-road-sweepers-1916
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Female Road Sweepers , Centre-Town, L.1 - 1916

 

  REF: 3765


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-emigrants-at-liverpool-1882
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Emigrants at Liverpool , Centre-Town, L.1 - 1882

 

  REF: 3764


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-electric-power-works-1903
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Electric Power Works , Centre-Town, L.1 - 1903

 

  REF: 3763


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-edmond-street-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Edmond Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1843

 

  REF: 3762


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-early-steam-wagon-1902
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: An early steam engine , Centre-Town, L.1 - 1902

 

  REF: 3761


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-dukes-dock-and-warehouses-1831
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Warehouses Dukes Dock, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1831

 

  REF: 3760


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-drury-lane-doorway-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: A Doorway Drury Lane, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1843

 

  REF: 3759


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-drury-lane-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Drury Lane, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1843

 

  REF: 3758


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-docks-1923
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Docks, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1923

 

  REF: 3757


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-docks-2-1920
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Docks, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1920

 

  REF: 3756


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-docks-1920
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Docks, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1920

 

  REF: 3755


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-docks-royal-daffodil-c1900s
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Royal Daffodil The Docks, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1900

 

  REF: 3754


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-docks-1887
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Docks, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1887

 

  REF: 3753


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-docks-georges-dock-1881
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Georges Dock, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1881

 

  REF: 3752


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-dock-unloading-the-george-griswold-1863
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Dockers at work The Docks, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1863

 

  REF: 3751


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-docks-st-georges-church-1830
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: St George's Church From the docks, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1830

 

  REF: 3750


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-docks-1799
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Docks, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1799

 

  REF: 3749


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-customs-house-2-ruins-1954
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Custom House , Centre-Town, L.1 - 1954

  This is what remained after the second world war. Now the site of Liverpool One.

  REF: 3748


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-customs-house-1907
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Custom House , Centre-Town, L.1 - 1907

 

  REF: 3747


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-customs-house-c1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Custom House , Centre-Town, L.1 - 1900

 

  REF: 3746


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-customs-house-canning-dock-1880
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Custom House , Centre-Town, L.1 - 1880

 

  REF: 3745


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-customs-house-john-atkinson-grimshaw-2-c1880
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Custom House , Centre-Town, L.1 - 1880

  From a painting by John Atkinson Grimshaw

  REF: 3744


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-customs-house-john-atkinson-grimshaw-c1880
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Custom House , Centre-Town, L.1 - 1880

  From a painting by John Atkinson Grimshaw

  REF: 3743


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-customs-house-canning-dock-1852
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Custom House Canning Dock, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1852

 

  REF: 3742


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-custom-house-1722
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Custom House , Centre-Town, L.1 - 1722

 

  REF: 3741


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-cornwallis-street-baths-c1800
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Baths Cornwallis Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1800

  This is where I learnt to swim.

  REF: 3740


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-coopers-row-doorway-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: A Doorway Coopers Row, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1843

 

  REF: 3739


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-coalbrookdale-iron-warehouse-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Coalbrookdale Iron Warehouse James Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1843

  As described in "Smith's Strangers Guide to Liverpool" in the year 1843

THE COALBROOKDALE IRON WAREHOUSE,

is a handsome building in James'-street, with a stone front in the Grecian style. The splendid show rooms of this establishment are, at all times, open to visitors, who will be interested by the extent of the premises, and the beautiful specimens of iron manufacture. Chimney and table ornaments, casts, vases, chandeliers, ornamental tables, grates, fenders, fire-irons, and articles of taste and elegance, are here displayed.

The upper rooms, about twelve in number, contain a vast variety of the more common cast-iron articles. The visitor is lost among the endless ranges of fire grates and stoves, beds, garden chairs, pans, boilers, &c., thousands of which are piled up together. The works are at Coalbrookdale, in Shropshire.

  REF: 3738


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-church-stile-house-1650
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Church Stile House Chapel Street, Centre-Town, L.2 - 1650

  This was a substantial house of the era and took its name from being next to the turn-stile which was on the east side of St. Nicholas Churchyard.

It was the home of one of the first families in the town, the Tarletons who gave their name to Tarleton Street.

  REF: 3737


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-a-mersey-dock
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Docks , Centre-Town, L.1 -

 

  REF: 3736


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-church-street-the-dispensary-2-1798
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Dispensary Church Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1798

 

  REF: 3735


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-church-of-the-school-for-the-blind-1831
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Church of the School for the Blind Hotham Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1831

  As described in "Smith's Strangers Guide to Liverpool" in the year 1843

ST. MARY'S CHAPEL; OR, CHURCH OF THE SCHOOL FOR THE BLIND.

This beautiful building, situated in Hotham-street, (formerly called Duncan-street,) was erected by John Foster, Esq., who, after a long residence in Greece, was desirous of building in his native town, a church, the architecture of which should be a copy of some of the most perfect models of Grecian art, and at an outlay consistent with the resources of the charity.

The foundation stone was laid on the 6th October, 1818, by the bishop of the diocese, and the church was opened by the same prelate on the 6th October of the following year. The architecture of the building is a peculiar species of the Doric order, and the portico of the west end is an exact copy of that of the temple of Jupiter Panhellenius, in the island of Egina. The church is capable of accommodating 1000 individuals, and one-half of the seats are appropriated for the use of strangers. With the school for the blind this building communicates by a subterraneous passage, through which the pupils enter the church. Over the altar is a stained glass painting of the "Ascension," executed by Mr. Lyon, of this town. Nearly behind the reading desk is an appropriate painting, by James Hilton, Esq., who obtained for it the prize from the British Institution, the subject of which is "Christ restoring the blind to sight." The picture was presented to the institution by Henry Wilson, Esq. Over the vestry door, on the north side, is a painting, by Haydon, purchased by the institution, illustrative of the passage "Suffer little children to come unto me." Within the church is also a monument erected in memory of the late Pudsey Dawson, Esq., one of the founders of the charity.

A principal object in the erection of this elegant church was to make it serve as an auxiliary for supporting the benevolent institution with which it is connected, on the plan of the Magdalen and Foundling Hospitals of the Metropolis. Every stranger, therefore, who attends divine service is expected to contribute a small amount in silver towards the charity; plates for receiving contributions being held at the door. The amount received in this manner during 1840 was 756 2s. 8d. The vocal part of the service is conducted by the blind pupils, who are assisted by a powerful organ, built by Gray, of London.

  REF: 3734


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-castle-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Liverpool Castle Castle Street, Centre-Town, L.2 - 1232

  As described in "A History of Liverpool" in the year 1907

The most important event of this period was the building of the great Liverpool Castle, which was the work of the first William de Ferrers, between 1232 and 1237. The site of the Castle was well chosen. At the highest point of the little triangular peninsula enclosed by the Pool, and at its southern end, overlooking and controlling the mouth of the Pool, was a rocky knoll, some fifty feet above sea-level, just at the top of the modern Lord Street. Here the architects cut out a square plateau of rock, some fifty yards long on each side, and surrounded it with a broad moat or ditch twenty yards wide, cut in the rock ; the ditch was probably a dry one, as it stood on the top of the hill.

On the square plateau a formidable fortress was erected. At the north-east corner, looking down Castle Street, was a massive square gatehouse, crowned by two small towers. An archway, reached by a causeway over the moat, passed through the centre of this gatehouse, and was guarded by a portcullis. At the north- western and south-western corners - on the side next to the river - two round towers were erected ; and lofty and strong walls ran all round the square, joining tower with tower. Only the south-eastern corner was unprovided with its tower: this was added more than two centuries later. The courtyard thus enclosed was divided into two parts by a wall running from north to south, which would form a second defence if an enemy succeeded in forcing his way through the gatehouse. The south-western tower formed the keep, the most important building of the Castle, probably containing the residential quarters of the lord. From this tower a small chapel extended along the southern wall, as far as the cross-wall dividing the courtyard ; while the western wall, looking toward the river, was occupied by a large banqueting hall, with kitchens and a brew-house and bake-house.

A small postern gate on this side led to some steps into the moat, whence an underground passage ran, parallel with James Street, to the edge of the river ; by this provisions could be brought into the Castle, or the garrison could make its escape if necessary. Under one of the walls of the Castle was a large dove-cot, from which the lord derived considerable profits ; while from the edge of the ditch on the east a pleasant orchard, occupying the site of the modern Lord Street, sloped down to the Pool.

  REF: 3733


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-castle-street-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Castle Street, Centre-Town, L.2 - 1843

  As described in "Bygone Liverpool" in the year 1913

THIS handsome street is depicted about six years after it was widened under an Act of Parliament, and it is a great pity that when the work was undertaken the west side was not set farther back so as to have brought the Town Hall in the centre of the street. As it is, the western side of the Town Hall is obscured by the projecting street buildings when viewed from the south.

Mr. W. Fergusson Irvine's description of this street is very interesting. He says, " Castle Street may be taken as the centre of the old town, running as it did between the Castle and the High Cross. In no instance, perhaps, is the difference between Moore's time and ours more marked than in this street. In his time it was only five yards wide for the greater part of its length, though it widened out, funnel like, at the Town Hall end. When it is understood that the present street is twenty yards wide at the narrowest part, or four times the width it was in Moore's day, we may realize something of the difference. The only street that broke its frontage was Fenwick Alley, now approximately represented by the upper part of Brunswick Street, on its west side. Then, in addition to this, the street only ran as far as the top of the modern Harrington Street, as at this point the Castle trench barred the way, a footpath leading round the north-east corner of the Castle to the top of Lord Molyneux's new street (now Lord Street), which he was actually laying out at this time. At the north end of Castle Street, and the west end of Dale Street, the Fair of Liverpool used to be held. In the widening of Castle Street the east side has practically remained unaltered in its alignment, the west side having been thrown back about fifty feet at the south end, though considerably less at the north end."

  REF: 3732


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-cargo-train-pier-head
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Cargo Train Pier Head, Centre-Town, L.1 -

 

  REF: 3731


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-canning-dock-1925
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Canning Dock, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1925

 

  REF: 3730


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-canning-dock-and-custom-house-1842
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Custom House Canning Dock, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1842

 

  REF: 3729


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-canning-dock-c1800s
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Canning Dock, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1800

  As described in "Smith's Strangers Guide to Liverpool" in the year 1843

CANNING DOCK,

formerly known as the Dry Dock, was at no very distant period altered to a wet dock, since which time it has been chiefly frequented by coasting vessels, fishing smacks, and other small craft. Connected with it, and between the dock and the river, are three graving docks, to which access can also be obtained from George's Dock, by means of a passage between the two of considerable length. The act for its erection was obtained in 1738, and the materials of which it was constructed having gradually suffered considerable decay, it underwent a thorough repair some years ago. As it was not sufficiently deep to admit large vessels, it was recently deepened about eight feet. A pair of double gates, of the most improved construction, retaining the water in either direction, was also erected, with massive granite piers, in the passage between this and George's Dock. The Old Dock, on the site of which the Custom-house now stands, entered from the east side of Canning Dock, and reached as far as South John-street in the eastward direction. It was closed in 1826, and the building of the Custom-house was commenced in 1828.

  REF: 3728


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-brunswick-house-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Brunswick House , Centre-Town, L.1 - 1843

 

  REF: 3727



Pages: [<<] ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [>>]


Search More Images


Get to know the real authentic 'Old Liverpool' now by starting your own collection of 'Old Liverpool Books'

What's New
     

Liverpool City Group - past and present
Liverpool City Group Home
  Customer Services
 
 
Liverpool City Group Home

Liverpool City Group - Past and Present