Old Photos of Liverpool, Maps and Old Liverpool Books

 Liverpool City Group
  past and present

 



Welcome to our extensive gallery of old images of Liverpool. Mostly, they have been collected from our extensive library of old Liverpool books, all of which have been out of circulation for more than a 100 years.

In order to make these very rare Liverpool books availability for you today, we have meticulously and faithfully reproduced them in epub eBook format so you can see and purchase them for your own collection in our shop

Results that match your search: 64


Pages: 1 2 [>>]

Liverpool, history, liverpool-l8-st-thomass-church-park-road-1853
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: St Thomas' Church Park Road, Dingle, L.8 - 1853

 

  REF: 4975


Liverpool, history, liverpool-l8-herculaneum-potteries-and-south-shore-1794-11.5x6.8-300
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Herculaneum Potteries and South Shore , Dingle, L.8 - 1794

 

  REF: 4974


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-ullet-road-1911
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Testing the road surface Ullet Road, Dingle, L.8 - 1911

 

  REF: 4323


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-ullet-road-laying-tarmac-1907
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Laying Tarmac Ullet Road, Dingle, L.8 - 1907

 

  REF: 4322


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-turners-home
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Turners Home Dingle Lane, Dingle, L.8 - 1884

  The building of the home was completed in 1884 and was designed by Alfred Waterhouse. It was built for Mrs Anne Turner as a memorial to her recently deceased husband and son. Her husband was Charles Turner, a Liverpool merchant who originated from Yorkshire. He had been chairman of Liverpool Dock Board, and a Member of Parliament. Charles Turner died in 1875, followed by his son five years later. The first full title of the home was “The Turner Memorial Home of Rest for Chronic Sufferers”.

Today (2013), the home is dual-registered as a residential and a nursing facility. In addition to medical and nursing care, chiropody, dental care, an optician's service, and hairdressing are provided. Parts of the main building continue to be used for communal activities, including dining, and games such as pool and snooker. Religious services are held twice a week in the chapel.

  REF: 4321


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-toxteth-co-op-1912
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Toxteth Co-op , Toxteth, L.8 - 1912

 

  REF: 4320


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-toxteth-co-op-1901
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Toxteth Co-op , Toxteth, L.8 - 1901

 

  REF: 4319


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-toxteth-dingle-borough-carriage-works-upper-hill-street-pre1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Borough Carriage Works Upper Hill Street, Dingle, L.8 - 1900

  Just down the road and around the corner from the opulent mansions and substantial homes, the Borough Carriage Works was ideally located to take advantage of the magnates and merchants carriage needs. Think of it as an early up-market dealership.

  REF: 4318


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-toxteth-union-fire-brigade-1890
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Toxteth Union Fire Brigade , Toxteth, L.8 - 1890

  THE FIRE BRIGADE in 1859.

The Liverpool Fire Brigade consists of 1 superintendent and 122 firemen. The superintendent of the fire brigade resides at the Central Station, in Hatton garden, and two firemen and one waterman are continually on duty there. At each of the other fire stations there are three firemen on the beat, who relieve each other alternately. There are twelve fire stations, namely : 1st, the Central Station, Hatton garden, Dale-street; 2nd, the Prince's Dock Station, north end; 3rd, the Collingwood Dock Station ; 4th, the Sandon Graving Dock Station ; 5th, the Athol-street, Vauxhall-road, Station; 6th, the Rosehill Station ; 7th, the Prescot-street, Lowhill, Station ; 8th, the Seel-street, off Berry-street, Station; 9th, the Olive-street, Windsor, Station; 10th, the Essex-street, Park, Station; 11th, the Brunswick Dock Station; and 12th, the Salt-house Dock Station. The stations are so distributed that there is no part of the town more than a mile distant from a fire station ; and along the docks, and amongst the warehouses and offices, they are much closer.

The following apparatus for extinguishing fires are kept constantly in readiness: 15 engines, capable of throwing water effectively from 80 to 100 feet in perpendicular height ; 16 reels, with hose to attach to the high-pressure mains, capable of throwing water effectively to a perpendicular height of 40 to 130 feet, according to the elevation of the main; 6,469 yards of hose; 1 water cart, containing a ton of water; 50 stand pipes ; 52 suction pipes; 65 conducting pipes; 36 hydrant pipes; and 13 elbow pipes. There are fire escape ladders and handcarts at each of the stations, and a large reel carriage at the Central Station.

In consequence of the efficiency of the above arrangements, of the abundant supply of water at all times, and of the improved method of constructing warehouses, there has been no great fire in Liverpool for some years, although the quantity of cotton, oil, turpentine, pitch, saltpetre, spirits, and other inflammable materials brought into the port, has prodigiously increased, during the last ten years. The only considerable fire in the port last year, was the burning of the James Baines, in the Huskisson Dock; but the number of fires which broke out, and was extinguished without doing any serious amount of injury, was 189. The average number of fires yearly, from 1848 to 1858, was 151, giving a total, for that period, of 1623.

  REF: 4315


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-tall-house-south-shore-dingle-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Tall House South Shore, Dingle, L.8 - 1780

  Originally built as a tavern with a landing stage to service the needs of travellers at a proposed ferry station which was never completed.

  REF: 4314


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-stanhope-street-wesleyan-chapel-1831
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Wesleyan Chapel Stanhope Street, Dingle, L.8 - 1831

  As described in "Smith's Strangers Guide to Liverpool" in the year 1843

WESLEY CHAPEL, in Stanhope-street, Toxteth-park was opened in 1827. It has a stone front, and is surrounded by a spacious burial ground. The interior will accommodate 1500 persons, and has an organ by Bewsher and Fleetwood of this town.

  REF: 4313


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-south-docks-1955
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The South Docks , Dingle, L.8 - 1955

 

  REF: 4312


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-south-shore-1797
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The South Shore , Dingle, L.8 - 1770

  Soon to become the location for the Herculaneum Pottery Manufactory, then the Herculaneum Dock and, later still, Seafront Housing.

  REF: 4311


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-the-duck-pond-princes-park-1910
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Duck Pond Princes Park, Dingle, L.8 - 1910

 

  REF: 4310


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-sefton-park-ullet-road-1910
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Gates, Sefton Park Ullet Road, Dingle, L.8 - 1910

 

  REF: 4309


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-princes-park-1910
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Princes Park, Dingle, L.8 - 1910

 

  REF: 4308


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-princes-park-1907
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Gates Princes Park, Dingle, L.8 - 1907

 

  REF: 4307


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-princes-park-1905
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Serpentine Lake Princes Park, Dingle, L.8 - 1905

 

  REF: 4306


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-princes-park-1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Serpentine Lake Princes Park, Dingle, L.8 - 1900

  Complete with the boathouse across the lake.

  REF: 4305


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-duck-pond-2-princes-park-1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Serpentine Lake Princes Park, Dingle, L.8 - 1900

  It was planned from the start that Princes Park would be surrounded by upmarket housing which would enjoy open views of the park and provide the park visitors with the equally pleasant surroundings of Croxteth Road, Ullet Road, Belvidere Road and Devonshire Road.

At the centre of the new park lay the serpentine lake. This was formed by damming Dickinson’s Dingle, the valley of which can still be seen today. The lake created the impression of a long, winding river with an ornamental Swiss boathouse, rockeries and a Chinese bridge.

Unfortunately for Yates and Paxton, we still knew it as 'the duck pond'.

  REF: 4304


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-princes-avenue-toxteth-1905
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Princes Avenue Princes Road, Toxteth, L.8 - 1905

  Now, that's what I call keeping the streets clean.

Notice the opulent architecture on the house fronts and the housemaid in the doorway.

  REF: 4303


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-princes-avenue-c1904
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Princes Avenue Princes Road, Toxteth, L.8 - 1904

 

  REF: 4302


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-mustangs-in-parliament-street-c1940
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: American Mustangs Parliament Street, Toxteth, L.8 - 1940

  probably on the move from the docks to Burtonwood.

  REF: 4301


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-park-road-steble-street-wash-house-1874
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Wash House Steble Street, Dingle, L.8 - 1874

  As described in "Smith's Strangers Guide to Liverpool" in the year 1843

THE CORPORATION WASH-HOUSE AND BATHS, were opened in June, 1842, and are situated in Upper Frederick-street, a little above St. Thomas' church. It is a convenient brick building, with a large reservoir and boilers attached, fitted up with numerous apartments, in which are warm, cold, and shower baths, both private and public. The lower part of the building, and out-house, are occupied as wash-houses, and have large troughs with sloping sides, divided into compartments, ranged round the walls, as well as others in the centre of the room. Into these hot and cold water is admitted by pipes. The scale of charges is, for a warm bath, 2d.; private ditto, 6d. ; and for the use of tubs, water, and drying in the wash-house. 1d. for not more than six hours; and it is expected that these extremely moderate rates, will induce the poorer classes to exercise the virtue of cleanliness, which is so essential to health.

In the 1950s and 60s, women used to put the weeks wash into a large sheet and tie the four corners together like a giant plum pudding. This would then be transported to the wash-house either balanced on their heads or pushed in an old pram.

This meant that Saturday mornings and school holidays called for an early start for us kids. The first order of the day was to collect as many empty lemonade bottles as we could find and take them back to the shops for the 3d deposit that was paid for all returns. Armed with enough money, we would head for Stebie Street baths for 2 hours of swimming (6d) and after that we'd go round the corner into the wash-house where we'd get a cup of oxo (2d) and a slice of toast (1d). All this for 3 empty bottles - yeah!

Then the serious business of choosing one of the prams lined up outside, would begin. After all, you can't make a good steerie (go-kart) without pram wheels. Those were the days, my friend!!!

  REF: 4300


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-peacock-inn-park-road-dingle
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Peacock Inn Park Road, Dingle, L.8 - 1780

  Located at the junction of High Park Street, Wellington Road.

  REF: 4299


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-mill-park-road-dingle-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Mill Park Road, Dingle, L.8 - 1775

  Today, it's hard to imagine how small Liverpool was and how few buildings there were but if you travelled south from town, past St James church on the Park Road to Toxteth Park, then this old wooden mill was the only building of any significance until you reached the Peacock Inn at the top of the hill - High Park Street.

  REF: 4298


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-liverpool-from-toxteth-park-1836
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Panoramic View Liverpool from Toxteth Park, Dingle, L.8 - 1836

  In 1835 1,056 acres of Toxteth Park from Parliament Street to Dingle Lane became part of Liverpool which, at the time, was only 1,858 acres itself. Liverpool also acquired 693 acres of Everton, 929 acres of Kirkdale and 674 acres of West Derby and so began the expansion of the old town.

  REF: 4297


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-grafton-street-1941
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Blitz Damage Grafton Street, Dingle, L.8 - 1941

 

  REF: 4296


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-knotts-hole-head-2006
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Knotts Hole, Dingle, L.8 - 2006

 

  REF: 4295


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-knotts-hole-dingle-1850
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The South Shore Knotts Hole, Dingle, L.8 - 1850

  It was still relatively unspoilt in the 1950s and 60s when I knew it as the Cast Iron Shore. We would go down Dingle Vale, onto Buckland Street and turn right onto Southwood Road, cut through Priory Wood and there it was - the Cazzy.

Adventure and treasure in equal measures were spread out before us.

There was 'The Golf Links' which was full of old golf balls which we used to break open and unravel miles of thin elastic until we eventually uncovered a little rubbery ball of 'paint' which was the core of the golf ball - very good for throwing at each other.

There were 'The Old Barges' which were full of green slimy water so you had to be careful you didn't slip and fall in. The electrical wiring was still there so we could cut off lengths of it and strip off the outer covering which made great 'lazzies' for catapults.

There was 'The Woods' where we could become 'merry men' and, with the right branches make 'bows and arrows' or catapults, using the outer casings of the golf balls and the lazzies, with which we could fire the paint ball cores.

So the question remains:- was it an ex-cazzy boy from the 1950s and 60s who invented 'Paintballing'?

  REF: 4294


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-knotts-hole-davids-throne-2
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The South Shore Knotts Hole, Davids Throne, Dingle, L.8 - 1850

  Destined to become the site of the Garden Festival.

  REF: 4293


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-duck-pond-princes-park-1908
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Duck Pond Princes Park, Dingle, L.8 - 1908

 

  REF: 4292


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-princes-park-2-c1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Park Views Princes Park, Dingle, L.8 - 1900

  As described in "Smith's Strangers Guide to Liverpool" in the year 1843

PUBLIC PARKS.

The construction of Public Parks in the neighbourhood of the town was agitated in the town council for a considerable period, and a committee was chosen to make the necessary arrangements; but the difficulty of procuring a proper situation, and the diversity of opinion as to its utility, have for the present caused the project to be laid aside. Since the plan was relinquished, Richard Vaughan Yates, Esq., has in the most public-spirited manner, purchased, at an expense of £47,000, from the Earl of Sefton, forty-three acres of land in the vicinity of the Dingle, Toxteth Park, two-thirds of which are to be immediately converted into a public park, and the remainder is to be appropriated as sites for villas. The Earl of Sefton has generously contributed £1000 towards the expense of laying out the grounds.

The property is delightfully situated; and the inhabitants of Liverpool will thus, through the munificence of Mr. Yates, in a short time, enjoy all the advantages of a public park, without any expenditure of the public money.

The park was a private venture and was financed by the sale of building plots around the park. Yates chose Joseph Paxton who was head gardener to the Duke of Devonshire to design the park, hence one of the boundaries of villas being Devonshire Road.

The park opened in 1842 but was not finished until 1845.

  REF: 4291


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-duck-pond-princes-park-c1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Park Views Princes Park, Dingle, L.8 - 1900

  Across the duck pond to the fine houses beyond.

  REF: 4290


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-dingle-glen-tennis-court
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The South Shore Dingle Glen, Dingle, L.8 - 1900

  Is that really a tennis court I see, laid out in the middle of nowhere?

  REF: 4289


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-dingle-glen-path
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The South Shore Dingle Glen, Dingle, L.8 - 1900

 

  REF: 4288


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-dingle-glen-4-dingle-1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The South Shore Dingle Glen, Dingle, L.8 - 1900

  Still countryside and open fields on Dingle Lane. Note Turner's Home in the background.

  REF: 4287


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-dingle-glen-3-dingle-1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The South Shore Dingle Glen, Dingle, L.8 - 1900

 

  REF: 4286


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-dingle-glen-2-dingle-1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The South Shore Dingle Glen, Dingle, L.8 - 1900

 

  REF: 4285


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-dingle-glen-c1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The South Shore Dingle Glen, Dingle, L.8 - 1900

 

  REF: 4284


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-dingle-glen-dingle-1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The South Shore Dingle Glen, Dingle, L.8 - 1900

  Anyone for a spot of alfresco bathing?

  REF: 4283


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-dingle-wishing-steps
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The South Shore The Wishing Steps, Dingle, L.8 - 1850

 

  REF: 4281


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-dingle-point-2
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The South Shore Dingle Point, Dingle, L.8 - 1850

 

  REF: 4280


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-dingle-point-dingle-1890
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The South Shore Dingle Point, Dingle, L.8 - 1850

 

  REF: 4279


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-dingle-cottage-1845
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Dingle Cottage Dingle Bank, Dingle, L.8 - 1845

  James Cropper was a wealthy shipowner whose firm, Cropper, Benson & Co., formed in 1799, carried cargo, mail and passengers between Liverpool and America. In 1823 he bought the Dingle Bank estate and built three large houses for members of his family and Dingle Bank Cottages on the shore for his estate workers.

  REF: 4278


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-west-dingle-1845
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: West Dingle Dingle Bank, Dingle, L.8 - 1845

  Dingle Bank remained secluded and intact until 1919 when it was bought by the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board who demolished everything to make way for the Dingle oil jetties and storage tanks.

  REF: 4277


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-overhead-railway-1-1956
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Overhead Railway , Dingle, L.8 - 1956

 

  REF: 4276


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-overhead-railway-2-1956
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Overhead Railway , Dingle, L.8 - 1956

 

  REF: 4275


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-overhead-railway-1956
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Overhead Railway , Dingle, L.8 - 1956

  inside a carriage.

  REF: 4274


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-overhead-railway-dingle
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Overhead Railway Herculaneum Dock, Dingle, L.8 - 1950

  at the transfer from the Dingle Terminus tunnel to the overhead track.

  REF: 4273



Pages: 1 2 [>>]


Search More Images


Get to know the real authentic 'Old Liverpool' now by starting your own collection of 'Old Liverpool Books'

What's New
     

Liverpool City Group - past and present
Liverpool City Group Home
  Customer Services
 
 
Liverpool City Group Home

Liverpool City Group - Past and Present