Old Photos of Liverpool, Maps and Old Liverpool Books

 Liverpool City Group
  past and present

 



Welcome to our extensive gallery of old images of Liverpool. Mostly, they have been collected from our extensive library of old Liverpool books, all of which have been out of circulation for more than a 100 years.

In order to make these very rare Liverpool books availability for you today, we have meticulously and faithfully reproduced them in epub eBook format so you can see and purchase them for your own collection in our shop

Results that match your search: 35

Liverpool, history, liverpool-l5-bank-hall-kirkdale-last-remains-1873
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Bank Hall Last Remains , Kirkdale, L.5 - 1873

 

  REF: 4973


Liverpool, history, liverpool-l5-bank-hall-kirkdale-hunting-stables-2-1873
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Bank Hall Hunting Stables , Kirkdale, L.5 - 1873

 

  REF: 4972


Liverpool, history, liverpool-l5-bank-hall-kirkdale-hunting-stables-1-1873
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Bank Hall Hunting Stables , Kirkdale, L.5 - 1873

 

  REF: 4971


Liverpool, history, liverpool-l5-bank-hall-kirkdale-1873
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Bank Hall , Kirkdale, L.5 - 1873

 

  REF: 4970


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l5-the-haymarket-great-homer-street-1852
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Manchester and Liverpool Agricultural Show Great Homer Street, Vauxhall, L.5 - 1852

 

  REF: 4226


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l5-st-matthews-church-scotland-road-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: St Matthews Church Scotland Road, Vauxhall, L.5 - 1843

 

  REF: 4225


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l5-sessions-house-kirkdale-1831
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Sessions House , Kirkdale, L.5 - 1831

 

  REF: 4224


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l5-sandhills-house-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Sandhills House , Kirkdale, L.5 - 1843

 

  REF: 4223


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l5-ruperts-cottage-interior-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Rupert's Cottage Interior , Everton, L.5 - 1843

 

  REF: 4222


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l5-ruperts-cottage-everton-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Rupert's Cottage , Everton, L.5 - 1843

  As described in "Smith's Strangers Guide to Liverpool" in the year 1843

PRINCE RUPERT'S COTTAGE. - This small cottage was the head quarters of the Prince during the siege of the town, mentioned in the ancient history, at the commencement of the volume. It is a small white-washed and thatched cottage, one story high, a little above Everton Brow, having still the same humble appearance which it had when occupied by the illustrious visitor.

In the neighbourhood are several houses of considerable antiquity. Till the year 1803, a Beacon, erected probably in the reign of Henry III., stood on the site of St. George's Church, Everton. It was a square tower, two stories high, capable of holding a small garrison, and on the roof were placed combustible materials for the purpose of giving a signal of alarm to the beacons of Rivington Pike and Ashurst. When the country had ceased to be distracted by civil wars, the tower fell into decay, and was blown down during a storm in 1803.

  REF: 4221


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l5-rupert-lane-barracks-everton-1886
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Barracks Rupert Lane, Everton, L.5 - 1886

 

  REF: 4220


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l5-maguire-street-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Maguire Street, Vauxhall, L.5 - 1843

 

  REF: 4219


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l5-liverpool-from-everton-1797
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Liverpool View from Everton Brow , Everton, L.5 - 1797

 

  REF: 4218


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l5-liverpool-1795
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Liverpool View from Everton Brow , Everton, L.5 - 1795

 

  REF: 4217


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l5-limekiln-lane slum-children-1902
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Liverpool Slummies Limekiln Lane, Vauxhall, L.5 - 1902

 

  REF: 4216


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l5-kirkdale-longmoor-lane-1935
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Fazakerley Station Longmoor Lane, Kirkdale, L.5 - 1935

 

  REF: 4215


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l5-kirkdale-kirkdale-homes-rumney-road-1925
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Kirkdale Homes Rumney Road, Kirkdale, L.5 - 1925

 

  REF: 4214


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l5-kirkdale-kirkdale-homes-1925
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Kirkdale Homes Rumney Road, Kirkdale, L.5 - 1925

 

  REF: 4213


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l5-industrial-school-kirkdale-1850
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Industrial School Bootle Lane, Kirkdale, L.5 - 1850

 

  REF: 4212


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l5-everton-st-georges-church-1831
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: St George's Church , Everton, L.5 - 1831

  As described in "Smith's Strangers Guide to Liverpool" in the year 1843

ST. GEORGE'S CHURCH, (EVERTON.)

This church, which was erected in 1814, on the site of the old beacon, is a handsome Gothic building of red sandstone. It is lighted by seven windows on each side, between each of which is an abutment terminating in a pinnacle. The whole of the window-frames, pillars, arches, groins, roof, &c. are of cast iron, giving the interior a light and tasteful appearance. In the church is a beautifully painted window, and at the other end of the church is a Gothic tower, 96 feet high, each angle of which is finished by a pinnacle.

  REF: 4211


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l5-everton-village-1868
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Everton Village, Everton, L.5 - 1868

 

  REF: 4210


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l5-everton-village-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Everton Village, Everton, L.5 - 1843

  As described in "Bygone Liverpool" in the year 1913

Fifty years ago (1800ish) Everton was a courtly place, wherein resided the richest merchants, the most distinguished citizens, and the most fashionable and leading families. Within the memory of middle-aged people, the whole range of the hill-side extending from the back, of Brunswick Road and under Plumpton Terrace, and the rear of Shaw Street, to Everton village, or ' Town,' as it used to be termed, there was not a house to be seen, while from the north side to Kirkdale all the land was fields and gardens.

Very old people recollect how beautiful the view was once from the Beacon Hill, and they have spoken with animation of the lovely prospect they could obtain from Everton Lane, over Mr. Plumpton's breast-high wall, which was skirted by lofty trees, of the distant town, the river, and the Cheshire shore. Plumpton Terrace now occupies the site of the wall, the trees, the brushwood, and the crest of the green fields.

To the Beacon Hill came crowds of holiday folks, whenever an ' out ' was to be obtained ; and truly they must have enjoyed a prospect of no common order, embracing, as it did, town, village, plain, pasture, river, and ocean. From the Beacon a view of fully thirty miles round could be obtained, and under certain conditions of light and atmosphere a distance of fifty miles could be compassed."

  REF: 4209


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l5-everton-house-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Everton House , Everton, L.5 - 1843

 

  REF: 4208


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l5-everton-cross-2-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Everton Cross, Everton, L.5 - 1843

  As described in "Bygone Liverpool" in the year 1913

EVERTON'S old Village Cross was at a later date used as a sundial. It eventually stood in the way of traffic, but its demolition was stoutly opposed for old sake's sake. However, its removal was decided on, and was carried out during the night ; and when some of the old residents awoke the next morning, they were greatly shocked to learn that its old standing-place would know it no more.

  REF: 4207


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l5-everton-beacon-2-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Everton Beacon, Everton, L.5 - 1843

 

  REF: 4206


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l5-everton brow-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Everton Brow, Everton, L.5 - 1843

 

  REF: 4205


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l5-everton-brow-1800
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Everton Brow, Everton, L.5 - 1800

 

  REF: 4204


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l5-county-house-of-correction-kirkdale-1831
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: County House of Correction , Kirkdale, L.5 - 1831

  As described in "Smith's Strangers Guide to Liverpool" in the year 1843

HOUSE OF CORRECTION, KIRKDALE. This spacious and well ventilated building, covers 28,648 square yards, and was built from designs by Mr. Wright, of Manchester, The front of the centre of the edifice is fitted up as the County Sessions-house, and is ornamented by an Ionic portico of eight columns, and the general form of the building is that of two semicircular wards, united at the extremities. The governor's and turnkeys' apartments command a view of all the prisoners, who are employed in various trades, and on a treadmill capable of admitting 130 persons on it at one time.

In the centre of the building is a commodious chapel, in which divine service is performed every Sunday. The prison is capable of containing 800 prisoners, who can be divided into 22 classes, and the arrangements for the separation and classification of offenders are very judicious.

  REF: 4203


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l5-blackfield-house-kirkdale-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Blackfield House , Kirkdale, L.5 - 1843

 

  REF: 4202


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l5-bank-hall-kirkdale-2-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Bank Hall Bank Hall Lane, Kirkdale, L.5 - 1843

 

  REF: 4201


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l5-bank-hall-1754
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Bank Hall Bank Hall Lane, Kirkdale, L.5 - 1754

  As described in "A History of Liverpool" in the year 1907

Sir Edward Moore, in the seventeenth century claimed that they had been settled in Liverpool from the beginning of its history. They held even more land in the town than the Liverpools, but unlike the Liverpools they also acquired large holdings outside of the borough, in Bootle, Kirkdale, West Derby, and other townships.

Their original seat, Moore Hall, lay at the northern end of the village, and its croft and gardens ran down to the shore of the river. When they acquired lands in Kirkdale, and built a country house at Bank Hall, their older house was called the Old Hall ; in this form it has given its name to a modern Liverpool street.

  REF: 4199


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-everton-village-green-1820
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Everton Village , Everton, L.5 - 1820

  As described in "Bygone Liverpool" in the year 1913

EVERTON'S old Village Cross was at a later date used as a sundial. It eventually stood in the way of traffic, but its demolition was stoutly opposed for old sake's sake. However, its removal was decided on, and was carried out during the night ; and when some of the old residents awoke the next morning, they were greatly shocked to learn that its old standing-place would know it no more.

The large house beyond and to the right of the Cross, was the residence of Mr. Thomas Shaw, or Squire Shaw as he was usually styled. It was built in the eighteenth century by the Halsall family. Prince Rupert's Cottage (so called because he resided there for a few days during the siege of Liverpool, 1644) was on the east side of the Village Green (the right-hand side, looking at this picture), and Molly Bushell's toffee shop was on the west side ; but neither building is shown in this scene.

  REF: 40


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-everton-brow-1868
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Everton Brow , Everton, L.5 - 1868

  As described in "Bygone Liverpool" in the year 1913

SINCE the days of our grandfathers Liverpool residents have connected the name of Everton with that delicious sweet- meat, Everton toffee, and even now this once delightful suburb is fondly remembered by the fact that on Everton Brow was situated the house were Everton toffee was sold, and which Herdman depicts as it appeared in 1868.

Molly Bushell, who first made and sold this toffee, dwelt in Everton about the year 1759, her fame soon spreading far and near, and the business she founded was continued by her descendants. In the centre of the picture is a steep plot of grass on which stands the Round House.

  REF: 39


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-everton-1867
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: A View of Everton , Everton, L.5 - 1867

  As described in "Bygone Liverpool" in the year 1913

MR. JAMES STONEHOUSE, writing more than half a century ago, says, " Of the outskirts of Liverpool, no portion has undergone so great a change in character and appearance as Everton within the last five-and- twenty years. Within the last fifteen years even the process of metamorphosis has gone on, until one of the pleasantest suburbs of Liverpool has become as life-teeming, cottage-bearing, and street- streaming as the densest part of Liverpool itself. Hosts of cottages now swarm up the hill sides, scramble over the top, and flood the plain on its summit.

  REF: 38


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-everton-1817
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: A view of Everton , Everton, L.5 - 1817

  As described in "Bygone Liverpool" in the year 1913

EVERTON nearly a hundred years ago, and even somewhat later, was a fashionable suburb, and its history has been written with great minuteness by Robert Syers, and published in 1830. Here dwelt the prosperous Liverpool merchants, who erected handsome mansions in commanding situations, and who were facetiously designated by the town residents " Everton nobles."

That old family, the Seacomes, possessed large properties in Everton ; and here, too, lived " Squire Shaw," who, through a fortunate marriage, became possessed of a good estate ; whilst Mr. Sparling dwelt on his St. Domingo property, of which he was inordinately proud. It is said that he proposed to build the Queen's Dock at his own expense ; but instead of that he sold the site to the Liverpool Corporation for a large sum. He was most anxious that his family should always identify his name with the estate in Everton ; but in this he was disappointed, for his son never resided there after his duel with poor Mr. Grayson, the shipbuilder, whom the wretched fellow challenged to a duel, and had out on a fair green field in Toxteth Park, where he shot him dead on Sunday morning, February 26, 1804.

The next year there was another fatal duel fought in a field close to London Road, between Colonel Bolton, of the first regiment of Liverpool Volunteers, and Major Edward Brooks, of the second regiment. Major Brooks was killed, but his opponent does not seem ever to have been brought to trial.

  REF: 37



Search More Images


Get to know the real authentic 'Old Liverpool' now by starting your own collection of 'Old Liverpool Books'

What's New
     

Liverpool City Group - past and present
Liverpool City Group Home
  Customer Services
 
 
Liverpool City Group Home

Liverpool City Group - Past and Present