Old Photos of Liverpool, Maps and Old Liverpool Books

 Liverpool City Group
  past and present

 



Welcome to our extensive gallery of old images of Liverpool. Mostly, they have been collected from our extensive library of old Liverpool books, all of which have been out of circulation for more than a 100 years.

In order to make these very rare Liverpool books availability for you today, we have meticulously and faithfully reproduced them in epub eBook format so you can see and purchase them for your own collection in our shop

Results that match your search: 33

Liverpool, history, liverpool-l2-the-tower-courtyard-3.5x4.7-300
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Tower Courtyard Water Street, Centre-Town, L.2 - 1843

 

  REF: 4962


Liverpool, history, liverpool-l2-the-tower-and-prison-weint-8.5x11.1-300
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Tower and Prison Weint Water Street, Centre-Town, L.2 - 1843

 

  REF: 4961


Liverpool, history, liverpool-l2-the-tower-and-old-st-nicholas-from-mann-island
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Tower and Old St Nicholas from Mann Island , Centre-Town, L.2 - 1843

 

  REF: 4960


Liverpool, history, liverpool-l2-the-tower-1360-10.7x6.8-300
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Tower Water Street, Centre-Town, L.2 - 1360

 

  REF: 4959


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l23-thornton-the-old-stocks-1907
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Stocks and Sundial Moor Lane, Quarry Road, Thornton, L23 - 1907

 

  REF: 4675


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l24-speke-hall-2
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Speke Hall The Walk, Speke, L24 - 2006

 

  REF: 4572


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l24-speke-speke-hall-1946
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Speke Hall The Walk, Speke, L24 - 1946

 

  REF: 4571


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l24-speke-hall
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Speke Hall The Walk, Speke, L24 - 1900

 

  REF: 4570


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l24-speke-hall-the-hall-bay-window-1849
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Speke Hall, the hall bay window The Walk, Speke, L24 - 1849

 

  REF: 4569


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l24-speke-hall-the-hall-1849
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Speke Hall Hall The Walk, Speke, L24 - 1849

 

  REF: 4568


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l24-speke-hall-drawing-room-fireplace-1849
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Speke Hall Drawing Room and Fireplace The Walk, Speke, L24 - 1849

 

  REF: 4567


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l24-speke-hall-interior-1831
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Speke Hall Interior The Walk, Speke, L24 - 1831

 

  REF: 4566


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l24-speke-inside-speke-hall-1598
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Speke Hall Interior The Walk, Speke, L24 - 1598

 

  REF: 4565


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l24-speke-hall-1882
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Speke Hall The Walk, Speke, L24 - 1882

 

  REF: 4564


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l24-speke-speke-hall-1849
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Speke Hall The Walk, Speke, L24 - 1849

 

  REF: 4563


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l24-speke-hall-1835
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Speke Hall The Walk, Speke, L24 - 1835

  As described in "Smith's Strangers Guide to Liverpool" in the year 1843

SPEKE HALL, although nine miles from Liverpool, may be noticed on account of its being an object of considerable attraction to the visitor. " It was built about 350 years ago, and is surrounded by a ditch or moat, and possesses every trait interesting to the lovers of antiquity. Gigantic yews shed their gloom over an antique court ; the old hall is decorated with a wainscot mantel-piece, said to have been brought from Edinburgh Castle after the victory at Flodden Field ; and Sir Wm. Norreys brought here a part of the Scotch king's library from Holyrood House. On the wainscoting is inscribed " SLEEP NOT TILL THOU HAST WELL CONSIDERED HOW THOU SPENT THE DAY PAST : IF THOU HAST DONE WELL, THANK GOD FOR IT; IF OTHERWISE, REPENT."

  REF: 4562


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l14-the-lodge-thingwall-hall-broadgreen-c1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Lodge Thingwall Hall, Broadgreen, L14 - 1900

 

  REF: 4368


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-toxteth-co-op-1912
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Toxteth Co-op , Toxteth, L.8 - 1912

 

  REF: 4320


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-toxteth-co-op-1901
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Toxteth Co-op , Toxteth, L.8 - 1901

 

  REF: 4319


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-toxteth-union-fire-brigade-1890
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Toxteth Union Fire Brigade , Toxteth, L.8 - 1890

  THE FIRE BRIGADE in 1859.

The Liverpool Fire Brigade consists of 1 superintendent and 122 firemen. The superintendent of the fire brigade resides at the Central Station, in Hatton garden, and two firemen and one waterman are continually on duty there. At each of the other fire stations there are three firemen on the beat, who relieve each other alternately. There are twelve fire stations, namely : 1st, the Central Station, Hatton garden, Dale-street; 2nd, the Prince's Dock Station, north end; 3rd, the Collingwood Dock Station ; 4th, the Sandon Graving Dock Station ; 5th, the Athol-street, Vauxhall-road, Station; 6th, the Rosehill Station ; 7th, the Prescot-street, Lowhill, Station ; 8th, the Seel-street, off Berry-street, Station; 9th, the Olive-street, Windsor, Station; 10th, the Essex-street, Park, Station; 11th, the Brunswick Dock Station; and 12th, the Salt-house Dock Station. The stations are so distributed that there is no part of the town more than a mile distant from a fire station ; and along the docks, and amongst the warehouses and offices, they are much closer.

The following apparatus for extinguishing fires are kept constantly in readiness: 15 engines, capable of throwing water effectively from 80 to 100 feet in perpendicular height ; 16 reels, with hose to attach to the high-pressure mains, capable of throwing water effectively to a perpendicular height of 40 to 130 feet, according to the elevation of the main; 6,469 yards of hose; 1 water cart, containing a ton of water; 50 stand pipes ; 52 suction pipes; 65 conducting pipes; 36 hydrant pipes; and 13 elbow pipes. There are fire escape ladders and handcarts at each of the stations, and a large reel carriage at the Central Station.

In consequence of the efficiency of the above arrangements, of the abundant supply of water at all times, and of the improved method of constructing warehouses, there has been no great fire in Liverpool for some years, although the quantity of cotton, oil, turpentine, pitch, saltpetre, spirits, and other inflammable materials brought into the port, has prodigiously increased, during the last ten years. The only considerable fire in the port last year, was the burning of the James Baines, in the Huskisson Dock; but the number of fires which broke out, and was extinguished without doing any serious amount of injury, was 189. The average number of fires yearly, from 1848 to 1858, was 151, giving a total, for that period, of 1623.

  REF: 4315


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-liverpool-from-toxteth-park-1836
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Panoramic View Liverpool from Toxteth Park, Dingle, L.8 - 1836

  In 1835 1,056 acres of Toxteth Park from Parliament Street to Dingle Lane became part of Liverpool which, at the time, was only 1,858 acres itself. Liverpool also acquired 693 acres of Everton, 929 acres of Kirkdale and 674 acres of West Derby and so began the expansion of the old town.

  REF: 4297


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l3-st-andrews-gardens-trowbridge-street-1935
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: St Andrew's Gardens Model Trowbridge Street, Centre-Town, L.3 - 1935

  Looks like the Mayor is pointing out all the grass, shrubs and flowers in an English country garden!

  REF: 4163


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l2-tithebarn-street-the-tithe-barn-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Tithe Barn Tithebarn Street, Centre-Town, L.2 - 1843

  As described in "A History of Liverpool" in the year 1907

Within the town, too, things were improving. In 1524 Sir William Molyneux rented a patch of waste land near the Moor Green from the burgesses, as a site for a new barn to hold the tithes of Walton, which had come into his possession. It was this barn which gave its name to Tithebarn Street

Its actual position was on the corner with Cheapside.

  REF: 4117


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l2-tithebarn-street-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Tithebarn Street, Centre-Town, L.2 - 1843

 

  REF: 4116


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l2-moor-street-tithebarn-street-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Moor Street, Tithebarn Street, Centre-Town, L.2 - 1843

 

  REF: 4086


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l2-moor-street-tithebarn-street-1831
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Moor Street, Tithebarn Street, Centre-Town, L.2 - 1831

  As described in "Bygone Liverpool" in the year 1913

MOOR, or Moore Street, was the ancient name of Tithebarn Street, so called probably from the fact that it led to some rough land known as the Moor.

The change of name took place some time after the year 1524, when Sir William Molyneux of Sefton (who had bought the living and tithes of the Parish of Walton from the Abbey of Shrewsbury in Edward IV's reign) erected in this street a barn, upon a piece of land lying near the Moore Green. The barn was used to store the tithes received in Liverpool from all places in the neighbourhood which paid tithe to the Molyneuxes, and quite naturally it became general to refer to the street as the tithe-barn street, and the original name was gradually forgotten.

The barn stood on the south side of Tithebarn Street, near the corner of Dig Lane, now called Cheapside. It eventually passed out of the possession of the Molyneux family, and was converted into shops, the main structure and the old oak roof remaining, the ground behind being utilized as a bowling-green. A portion of the building was pulled down some time after the year 1820 in order to widen the street, which was very narrow and tortuous, but the remaining portion was not removed for many years afterwards.

  REF: 4085


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-thomas-street-2-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Thomas Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1843

 

  REF: 3999


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-thomas-street-1-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Thomas Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1843

 

  REF: 3998


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-the-telegraph-tower-c1800
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Telegraph Tower Pier Head, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1800

 

  REF: 3992


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-theatre-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Theatre , Centre-Town, L.1 - 1843

 

  REF: 3968


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-liverpool-liver-building-1914
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Three Graces Liverpool, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1914

 

  REF: 3830


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-second-town-hall-c1673
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Town Hall High Street, Centre-Town, L.2 - 1673

  The Second Liverpool Town Hall

  REF: 89


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-fourth-town-hall-c1802
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Town Hall High Street, Centre-Town, L.2 - 1802

  The Fourth Liverpool Town Hall

  REF: 44



Search More Images


Get to know the real authentic 'Old Liverpool' now by starting your own collection of 'Old Liverpool Books'

What's New
     

Liverpool City Group - past and present
Liverpool City Group Home
  Customer Services
 
 
Liverpool City Group Home

Liverpool City Group - Past and Present