Old Photos of Liverpool, Maps and Old Liverpool Books

 Liverpool City Group
  past and present

 



Welcome to our extensive gallery of old images of Liverpool. Mostly, they have been collected from our extensive library of old Liverpool books, all of which have been out of circulation for more than a 100 years.

In order to make these very rare Liverpool books availability for you today, we have meticulously and faithfully reproduced them in epub eBook format so you can see and purchase them for your own collection in our shop

Results that match your search: 47

Liverpool, history, wirral-the-royal-rock-ferry-cheshire
Location: Wirral

Category: history

Address: The Royal Rock Ferry Rock Ferry, , - 1843

 

  REF: 5002


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-ranelagh-street-1917
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Central Station Ranelagh Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1917

 

  REF: 4855


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l21-rawson-road-seaforth-1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Rawson Road, Seaforth, L21 - 1900

 

  REF: 4490


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l13-west-derby-station-2005
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Railway Station , West Derby, L13 - 2005

  and there it was gone.

  REF: 4363


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l13-west-derby-station-1969
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Railway Station , West Derby, L13 - 1969

 

  REF: 4362


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l13-west-derby-station-1959
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Railway Station , West Derby, L13 - 1959

 

  REF: 4361


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l9-fazakerley-ross-and-co-ltd-1949
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Ross and Co. Ltd , Fazakerley, L.9 - 1949

 

  REF: 4346


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l5-rupert-lane-barracks-everton-1886
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Barracks Rupert Lane, Everton, L.5 - 1886

 

  REF: 4220


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l5-kirkdale-kirkdale-homes-rumney-road-1925
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Kirkdale Homes Rumney Road, Kirkdale, L.5 - 1925

 

  REF: 4214


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l4-walton-hospital-2-c1960
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Walton Hospital Rice Lane, Walton, L.4 - 1960

 

  REF: 4194


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l4-walton-hospital-c1960
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Walton Hospital Rice Lane, Walton, L.4 - 1960

 

  REF: 4193


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l4-walton-hospital-1960
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Walton Hospital Rice Lane, Walton, L.4 - 1960

 

  REF: 4192


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l4-walton-hospital-1932
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Walton Hospital Rice Lane, Walton, L.4 - 1932

 

  REF: 4191


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l4-walton-hospital-2-c1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Walton Hospital Rice Lane, Walton, L.4 - 1900

 

  REF: 4190


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l4-walton-hospital-c1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Walton Hospital Rice Lane, Walton, L.4 - 1900

 

  REF: 4189


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l4-walton-hospital-training-school-for-nurses-c1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Walton Hospital Training School for Nurses Rice Lane, Walton, L.4 - 1900

 

  REF: 4188


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l4-walton-hospital-nurses-at-home-c1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Walton Hospital Nurses Home Rice Lane, Walton, L.4 - 1900

 

  REF: 4187


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l4-walton-hospital-nurses-home-c1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Walton Hospital Nurses Home Rice Lane, Walton, L.4 - 1900

 

  REF: 4186


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l4-walton-institution-1925
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Walton Institution Rice Lane, Walton, L.4 - 1925

 

  REF: 4185


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l4-walton-institution-2-1925
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Walton Institution Rice Lane, Walton, L.4 - 1925

 

  REF: 4184


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l3-stanley-dock-gates-c1800
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Dock Gates Regent Road, Centre-North, L.3 - 1800

 

  REF: 4164


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l3-adelphi-hotel-and-the-big-house-ranelagh-street-1960
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Adelphi Hotel and the Big House Ranelagh Street, Centre-Town, L.3 - 1960

 

  REF: 4138


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l2-red-cross-street-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Red Cross Street, Centre-Town, L.2 - 1843

 

  REF: 4094


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l2-red-cross-street-2-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Red Cross Street, Centre-Town, L.2 - 1843

 

  REF: 4093


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-the-royal-liver-buildings-1955
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Royal Liver Building Pier Head, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1955

 

  REF: 3987


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-the-revenue-buildings-c1800
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Revenue Buildings Pier Head, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1839

 

  REF: 3986


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-royal-liver-building-clock-face-1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Royal Liver Building Pier Head, Centre-Town, L.1 - c1910

 

  REF: 3906


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-royal-iris-pier-head-1930
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Royal Iris Pier Head, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1930

 

  REF: 3904


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-riverside-station-pier-head-1910
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Riverside Station Pier Head, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1910

 

  REF: 3903


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-richmond-fair-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Richmond Fair Richmond Row, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1843

  As described in "Bygone Liverpool" in the year 1913

RICHMOND FAIR is the title Herdman gives this drawing, and that was the name the place was generally known by ; but its correct designation was "The Richmond Woollen Hall." The building was erected in 1787 for the sale of woollen goods, and there were rooms in it which were let to dealers either permanently, or temporarily when linen and woollen goods fairs were held in Liverpool. These fairs did not find favour in the eyes of the linen and woollen drapers, and were ultimately discontinued.

In 1828 a petition from the inhabitants of Richmond Row was before the Council praying that Richmond Fair be converted into a market place, but the prayer of the petitioners was not granted, and the building was eventually converted into cottage tenements. These were demolished in 1909, and on their site was erected the Franciscan Church of St. Mary of the Angels.

  REF: 3901


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-ranelagh-street-lewiss-building-1949
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Lewis's Building Ranelagh Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1949

 

  REF: 3899


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-ranelagh-street-1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Ranelagh Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1900

 

  REF: 3898


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-ranelagh-street-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Ranelagh Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1843

  As described in "A History of Liverpool" in the year 1907

In 1725 John Chadwick drew up the first surveyed map of Liverpool, for which he was rewarded by a grant of 6 from the Town Council. This map shows thirty-seven streets in existence, and presents a marked contrast to the map of fifty years before, which might serve for almost any period in Liverpool history before the eighteenth century.

The Pool has vanished, and the Old Dock (on the site of the modern Custom-house) has taken its place. But there is as yet little building south of the old line of the Pool ; while to the north the limits of the house-covered area still extend only to the Old Hall.

George Perry's map of 1769 shows a remarkable growth. Church Street and Ranelagh Street were well built up ; Duke Street and Hanover Street were full of fine houses ; houses with big gardens occupied Mount Pleasant ; and a dense mass of building was spreading along the riverside southwards. To the north expansion was slower, but building had extended as far as the modern canal basin. The growth of population was even greater than this physical expansion suggests, for most of the houses were cramped and overcrowded. It rose from 5,000 in 1700 to 18,000 in 1750, and 25,000 in 1760.

  REF: 3897


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-ranelagh-place-adelphi-hotel-1920s
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Adelphi Hotel Ranelagh Place, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1920

  "The most modern hotel in Europe"

  REF: 3895


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-passenger-locomotive-1835
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Passenger Locomotive Liverpool to Manchester Railway, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1835

 

  REF: 3865


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-liverpool manchester railway-1830
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Liverpool - Manchester railway , Centre-Town, L.1 - 1830

  As described in "Smith's Strangers Guide to Liverpool" in the year 1843

The first meeting held for the proposal of establishing the railroad, was on 20th May, 1824, and on the 29th October following, the first prospectus of the undertaking was issued. In passing through parliament, the bill met with strenuous opposition from the proprietors of the various canals, and from local landowners, and it was ultimately lost in June, 1825. The application to parliament was afterwards renewed, and it was carried, on 26th April, 1826, after upwards of 70,000 had been expended in parliamentary proceedings. The work now commenced with spirit, under the superintendence of Mr. Stephenson, Engineer, and in Sept. 1826, the first shaft of the tunnel was opened.

In 1829, a trial of the respective merits of several new locomotive engines was made, when Mr. Stephenson's engine, the Rocket, was declared the winner. On the 1st of January, 1830, a line of rails was completed over the much-dreaded Chat-moss, and on the 15th September, the same year, this magnificent work of art was opened the entire distance from Liverpool to Manchester, with all the pomp and splendour, which titled visiters and wealth were able to display. A deep gloom was thrown over the proceedings of that eventful day, by the melancholy accident which deprived the Right Hon. Wm. Huskisson, Esq., M.P. for Liverpool, of life. The circumstances are too well known to require detail. He was publicly interred in St. James' cemetery, and a splendid mausoleum was erected to his memory, as formerly noticed. A marble slab at Parkside, marks the spot where the melancholy accident took place.

According to the statement of Mr. Pemberton, the original cost of construction of the Liverpool and Manchester Railway was 1,089,818 17s. 7d.

  REF: 3823


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-lewiss-ranelagh-street
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Lewis's Ranelagh Street, Centre-Town, L.1 -

 

  REF: 3800


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-great-charlotte-street-the-royal-amphitheatre-1826
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Royal Amphitheatre Great Charlotte Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1826

  As described in "Smith's Strangers Guide to Liverpool" in the year 1843

THE AMPHITHEATRE,

is the largest building of this description, and is open during the winter months for the performance of equestrian feats, pantomines, &c. The building, including the circle, which is very commodious, has frequently contained nearly 5000 persons, when assembled at a public meeting. It is situated in Great Charlotte-street, opposite St John's Market.

  REF: 3785


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-docks-royal-daffodil-c1900s
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Royal Daffodil The Docks, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1900

 

  REF: 3754


Liverpool, history, liverpool-l1-history-colquitt-street-the-royal-institution-1823
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Royal Institution Colquitt Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1823

  As described in "Bygone Liverpool" in the year 1913

THIS street is named after John Colquitt, the Town Clerk, who resided in Wood Street and owned the land in the neighbourhood. The street was then on the outskirts of the town, and the houses still remaining there attest to the opulence of the residents in the early days. The street will always be regarded with pride by Liverpool people, because of its connexion with literature, science, and art, for in this street, in the house of Thomas Parr, which was purchased for the purpose, was established an Institute to promote the increase and diffusion of literature, science, and art.

The Institute was founded in 1814, and incorporated by Royal Charter 1822; the cost of the house and alterations being about 14,000, which was defrayed by subscriptions of 50 and 100 each. The building was opened on November 25, 1817, on which occasion Mr. William Roscoe delivered an address "on the origin and vicissitudes of literature, science, and art." On the ground floor the Literary and Philosophical Society met, with Mr. William Roscoe as President. There was a room for the use of the Liverpool Academy, and another for the paintings purchased at the sale of William Roscoe's effects. That excellent boys' school, the " Royal Institution," was established to give more than the ordinary education, and many of the leading families in Liverpool sent their sons there. The head master, Mr. Dawson William Turner, is still remembered in Liverpool with affection.

  REF: 692


Liverpool, history, liverpool-l1-gladstones-birthplace-rodney-street-c1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Birthplace of Gladstone Rodney Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1900

  As described in "A History of Liverpool" in the year 1907

In the earlier part of the period the houses which faced upon the old streets were of infinite variety of size and form, for rich and poor lived together, and the wealthiest merchants did not disdain to live above their cellar warehouses, the yawning openings to which formed a serious danger to foot passengers. Houses of this type may still be seen in Duke Street and Hanover Street, but in the eighteenth century merchants dwelt also in Water Street, Oldhall Street, and Lord Street. Towards the end of the century, however, they began to desert the old houses, and to betake themselves to residences further afield. Rodney Street was well built up by the end of the eighteenth century, Mr. John Gladstone being established in his fine house before 1798.

  REF: 682


Liverpool, history, liverpool-l1-docks-royal-daffodil-c1900s
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Royal Daffodil River Mersey, , - 1900

  As described in "A History of Liverpool" in the year 1907

The trade of the borough was mainly local in character. The weekly Saturday market and the annual fair on St. Martin's day were chiefly resorted to by people from the neighbourhood who came to sell their agricultural produce ; while the more enterprising burgesses sold them spices and wines and fine stuffs, brought from the great English fairs like Stourbridge and Winchester, to which foreign traders came ; or iron goods, or salt, or fish, or rough woollen stuffs from Kendal or Lancaster. A few ' stranger ' merchants would come to the fair, but not often to the market.

To both market and fair a good many customers were brought by the ferries over the Mersey. In addition to the ferry which the burgesses worked, the Prior of the monastery of Birkenhead had a right of ferry ; and since 1318 he had kept houses of entertainment for the use of the ' great numbers of persons wishing to cross' to Liverpool who were ' often hindered by contrariety of weather and frequent storms.' The fares by this ferry were 1/4d. for a man on foot, 2d. for a man with a horse ; but on market days the fares were doubled. The Prior sold the produce of his own lands at the Liverpool market, and for this purpose had a house and barn at the bottom of Water Street, where he stored his corn.

  REF: 673


Liverpool, history, liverpool-l1-albert-dock-royal-dejeuner-1846
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Royal Dinner Albert Dock, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1846

  The Royal opening celebrations inside the Albert Dock.

  REF: 654


Liverpool, history, liverpool-l1-albert-dock-royal-yacht-arrival-1846
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Royal Yacht Albert Dock, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1846

  The Royal Yacht arriving at the Albert Dock for the official opening.

  REF: 652


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-roby-hall-1830
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Roby Hall , Bowring Park, L16 - 1830

  Bowring Park is the oldest public park in Knowsley, originally forming the heart of the ancient Roby Hall Estate.

The Hall had been bequeathed in 1906 by William Benjamin Bowring, the city's first elected Lord.

  REF: 86


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-richmond-row-the-richmond-woollen-hall-1787
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Richmond Woolen Hall Richmond Row, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1787

  As described in "Bygone Liverpool" in the year 1913

RICHMOND FAIR is the title Herdman gives this drawing, and that was the name the place was generally known by ; but its correct designation was "The Richmond Woollen Hall." The building was erected in 1787 for the sale of woollen goods, and there were rooms in it which were let to dealers either permanently, or temporarily when linen and woollen goods fairs were held in Liverpool. These fairs did not find favour in the eyes of the linen and woollen drapers, and were ultimately discontinued.

In 1828 a petition from the inhabitants of Richmond Row was before the Council praying that Richmond Fair be converted into a market place, but the prayer of the petitioners was not granted, and the building was eventually converted into cottage tenements. These were demolished in 1909, and on their site was erected the Franciscan Church of St. Mary of the Angels.

  REF: 84


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-ranelagh-street-1825
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Ranelagh Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1825

  As described in "Bygone Liverpool" in the year 1913

The picture represents the street in the year 1825, when it was a quiet and unpretending suburb of Liverpool, and is copied from a contemporary drawing by the Rev. Dr. Raffles. The point of view is from Lime Street, looking towards Church Street, and the large house at the left corner was the residence of the Harveys. In the distance are seen the shops in Church Street, and beyond are the Cheshire hills, with the mill and signals on Bidston Hill. The street took its name from a famous hostelry, named the "White House " on Perry's map of 1769 ; but a new and energetic proprietor laid out its large gardens attractively, changed the name to " Ranelagh House and Gardens," and gave open air concerts and firework displays. The inn occupied the site of the present Adelphi Hotel.

  REF: 83



Search More Images


Get to know the real authentic 'Old Liverpool' now by starting your own collection of 'Old Liverpool Books'

What's New
     

Liverpool City Group - past and present
Liverpool City Group Home
  Customer Services
 
 
Liverpool City Group Home

Liverpool City Group - Past and Present