Old Photos of Liverpool, Maps and Old Liverpool Books

 Liverpool City Group
  past and present

 



Welcome to our extensive gallery of old images of Liverpool. Mostly, they have been collected from our extensive library of old Liverpool books, all of which have been out of circulation for more than a 100 years.

In order to make these very rare Liverpool books availability for you today, we have meticulously and faithfully reproduced them in epub eBook format so you can see and purchase them for your own collection in our shop

Results that match your search: 70


Pages: 1 2 [>>]

Liverpool, history, liverpool-l8-st-thomass-church-park-road-1853
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: St Thomas' Church Park Road, Dingle, L.8 - 1853

 

  REF: 4975


Liverpool, history, liverpool-l1-site-of-princes-dock-1809-8.5x4.9-300
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Princes Dock, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1809

 

  REF: 4908


Liverpool, history, liverpool-l1-pool-lane-1798-7.7x5.2-300
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Pool Lane, Centre-Town, L.2 - 1798

  Now Whitechapel

  REF: 4905


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-riverside-railway-1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Riverside Station Pier Head, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1900

 

  REF: 4856


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-landing-stage-liner-1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Landing Stage Pier Head, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1900

 

  REF: 4854


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-landing-stage-2-1920
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Landing Stage Pier Head, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1920

 

  REF: 4853


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-landing-stage-1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Landing Stage Pier Head, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1900

 

  REF: 4852


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-the-duck-pond-princes-park-1910
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Duck Pond Princes Park, Dingle, L.8 - 1910

 

  REF: 4310


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-princes-park-1910
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Princes Park, Dingle, L.8 - 1910

 

  REF: 4308


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-princes-park-1907
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Gates Princes Park, Dingle, L.8 - 1907

 

  REF: 4307


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-princes-park-1905
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Serpentine Lake Princes Park, Dingle, L.8 - 1905

 

  REF: 4306


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-princes-park-1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Serpentine Lake Princes Park, Dingle, L.8 - 1900

  Complete with the boathouse across the lake.

  REF: 4305


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-duck-pond-2-princes-park-1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Serpentine Lake Princes Park, Dingle, L.8 - 1900

  It was planned from the start that Princes Park would be surrounded by upmarket housing which would enjoy open views of the park and provide the park visitors with the equally pleasant surroundings of Croxteth Road, Ullet Road, Belvidere Road and Devonshire Road.

At the centre of the new park lay the serpentine lake. This was formed by damming Dickinsonís Dingle, the valley of which can still be seen today. The lake created the impression of a long, winding river with an ornamental Swiss boathouse, rockeries and a Chinese bridge.

Unfortunately for Yates and Paxton, we still knew it as 'the duck pond'.

  REF: 4304


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-princes-avenue-toxteth-1905
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Princes Avenue Princes Road, Toxteth, L.8 - 1905

  Now, that's what I call keeping the streets clean.

Notice the opulent architecture on the house fronts and the housemaid in the doorway.

  REF: 4303


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-princes-avenue-c1904
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Princes Avenue Princes Road, Toxteth, L.8 - 1904

 

  REF: 4302


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-mustangs-in-parliament-street-c1940
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: American Mustangs Parliament Street, Toxteth, L.8 - 1940

  probably on the move from the docks to Burtonwood.

  REF: 4301


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-peacock-inn-park-road-dingle
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Peacock Inn Park Road, Dingle, L.8 - 1780

  Located at the junction of High Park Street, Wellington Road.

  REF: 4299


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-mill-park-road-dingle-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Mill Park Road, Dingle, L.8 - 1775

  Today, it's hard to imagine how small Liverpool was and how few buildings there were but if you travelled south from town, past St James church on the Park Road to Toxteth Park, then this old wooden mill was the only building of any significance until you reached the Peacock Inn at the top of the hill - High Park Street.

  REF: 4298


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-duck-pond-princes-park-1908
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Duck Pond Princes Park, Dingle, L.8 - 1908

 

  REF: 4292


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-duck-pond-princes-park-c1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Park Views Princes Park, Dingle, L.8 - 1900

  Across the duck pond to the fine houses beyond.

  REF: 4290


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-overhead-railway-1908
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Overhead Railway Pier Head, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1908

 

  REF: 4269


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-overhead-railway-1907
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Overhead Railway Pier Head, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1907

 

  REF: 4268


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-ancient-chapel-of-worship-tribute-park-road
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Ancient Chapel of Worship Tribute Park Road, Dingle, L.8 - 2006

 

  REF: 4258


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l8-ancient-chapel-of-worship-park-road
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Ancient Chapel of Worship Park Road, Dingle, L.8 - 2006

 

  REF: 4257


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l3-site-of-st-silas-pembroke-place-1943
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Bomb Damage WWII - The site of St Silas Church Pembroke Place, Centre-Town, L.3 - 1943

 

  REF: 4162


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l2-st-nicholas-church-and-tower-buildings-2-c1800s
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: St Nicholas Church and Tower Buildings Pier Head, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1800

 

  REF: 4097


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l2-pool-lane-(south-castle-street)-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Pool Lane, South Castle Street, Centre-Town, L.2 - 1843

 

  REF: 4092


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l2-old-fort-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Old Fort Liverpool, Centre-Town, L.2 - 1843

  As described in "A History of Liverpool" in the year 1907

The one redeeming feature of these depressing years was the vigour, courage, and patriotism with which Liverpool threw herself into the struggle, especially after the French war had been added to the American. A large round fort was raised on the north shore, where the Prince's dock now is, with barracks for a force of four or five hundred troops. In addition, batteries were raised at the dock mouths.

The Corporation undertook in 1778 two-thirds of the cost of raising and fitting out a regiment of regular troops, to be called the Liverpool Blues, and when the muster was called the regiment numbered 1,100 men. Its senior officers were borrowed from the regular army, but the subalterns were all young Liverpool men.

  REF: 4090


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-the-philharmonic-hall-interior-1849
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Philharmonic Hall Interior Hope Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1849

 

  REF: 3985


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-the-philharmonic-hall-1849
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Philharmonic Hall Hope Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1849

 

  REF: 3984


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-the-baths-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Georges Baths Pier Head, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1843

  As described in "Smith's Strangers Guide to Liverpool" in the year 1843

THE CORPORATION BATHS were erected from Mr. Foster's designs at an expense of £30,763. They are situated between George's Dock and the river; are 239 feet in length, and 87 feet wide. The centre part of the principal elevation projects, and on each side is a colonnade, formed by coupled columns, eighty-six feet in length, and eight feet wide. The gentlemen's baths are at the north end. The principal bath is forty-five feet long by twenty-seven feet wide, provided with numerous comfortable dressing-rooms. Private tepid, vapour, and shower-baths, are adjoining.

The ladies' baths are similarly arranged, at the south end of the building. The water is received from the river, and filtered till it is perfectly free from impurities, and a fresh supply is constantly flowing into the baths. The charges are very moderate.

  REF: 3969


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-st-michaels-church-pitt-street-1941
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: St Michael's Church Upper Pitt Street, Centre-South, L.1 - 1941

  The aftermath of the second World War blitz.

  REF: 3958


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-sailors-home-1880
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Sailors Home Paradise Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1880

 

  REF: 3910


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-sailors-home-canning-place-1846
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Sailors Home Paradise Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1846

 

  REF: 3908


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-royal-liver-building-1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Royal Liver Building Pier Head, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1911

  As described in Wikipedia

Designed by Walter Aubrey Thomas, the foundation stone for the building was laid on 11 May 1908 and just 3 years later on 19 July 1911, the building was officially opened by Lord Sheffield. The building became the first major structure in Britain, and one of the first buildings in the world, to be constructed using reinforced concrete, and given the building's radical design was considered by some to be impossible to build.

Since its completion in 1911, it has overlooked the River Mersey from its waterfront location on the Pier Head and forms one of the 'Three Graces' along with the Port of Liverpool Building and the Cunard Building. This is reflected in the building's Grade I listed building status. It stands at 90 m (300 ft) tall and has 13 floors.

The building is crowned by a pair of clock towers: as a ship passed along the river, mariners could tell the time from these. The clocks were made by Gent and Co. of Leicester. The clock faces are 7.6 m (25 ft) in diameter, larger than those of London's famous landmark, Big Ben, holding the distinction of being the largest electronically driven clocks in the UK. They were originally named George clocks, because they were started at the precise time that King George V was crowned on 22 June 1911. In 1953, electronic chimes were installed to serve as a memorial to the members of the Royal Liver Friendly Society who died during the two World Wars. During hours of darkness, the clock dials are illuminated.

Atop each tower stand the mythical Liver Birds, designed by Carl Bernard Bartels. Popular legend has it that while one giant bird looks out over the city to protect its people, the other bird looks out to sea at the new sailors coming in to port. Alternatively, local legend states one Liver Bird is male, looking inland to see if the pubs are open, whilst the other is female, looking out to sea to see if there are any handsome sailors coming up the river. Yet another local legend, reflecting Liverpudlians' cynicism, avers that every time a virgin walks across the Pier Head, the Liver Birds flap their wings. It is also said that, if one of the birds were to fly away the city of Liverpool would cease to exist, thus adding to the mystery of the birds. As a result, both birds are chained to the domes upon which they stand; although this could simply be because the originally gilded Liver birds, of a moulded and hammered copper construction (that is itself fixed onto a rolled-steel armature) are eighteen feet high, ten feet long and themselves carry in their beaks an intricately cast sprig of seaweed. Additionally, however, their heads are three-and-a-half feet long, their wing spread is twelve feet and their legs measure two feet in circumference. The two birds - officially cormorants - have identical and almost traditional poses, standing upright with half-raised wings.

There is a third, and little known, Liver bird across the road from the Liver building in the courtyard next to St Nicholas Church.

  REF: 3905


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-princes-dock-c1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Princes Dock, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1900

 

  REF: 3891


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-princes-dock-1888
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Princes Dock, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1888

 

  REF: 3890


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-princes-dock-1831
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Princes Dock, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1831

  As described in "Smith's Strangers Guide to Liverpool" in the year 1843

PRINCES DOCK is the next in order proceeding southward, after passing the basin, and its size and central situation render it the most important. After having been six years in construction, it was opened with much ceremony, on the occasion of the coronation of Geo. IV, 19th July, 1821. The expense of the erection, with the marine works attached, was estimated at £561,059. This dock is chiefly appropriated to the large vessels engaged in the American, East India, or China trade, the east side being set apart for vessels discharging, and the west for those loading. On the west, south, and east sides are spacious transit sheds.

It is entered from George's Basin, at the south end, as well as from that at the north extremity, and the passages are closed by locks, the gates of which are forty-five feet wide, and thirty-four feet deep, and constructed so as to admit vessels at half-tide. Between the river and the west side of the wall surrounding the dock, is a splendid marine parade, 750 yards in length, and 11 yards in breadth, on the edge of which is a parapet about three feet in height, with steps at convenient distances, down to the river, for the landing of passengers.

From this parade, known by the name of the Prince's Parade, may be obtained the finest views of the river, the shipping, and the increasing erections on the Cheshire side of the Mersey. The Seacombe, Egremont and New Brighton steamers sail from the south end of this parade.

  REF: 3889


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-prince-and-princess-of-wales-visit-1868
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Prince and Princess of Wales Visit , Centre-Town, L.1 - 1868

 

  REF: 3888


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-post-office-c1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Post Office , Centre-Town, L.1 - 1900

 

  REF: 3886


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-port-of-liverpool-building-1907
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Port of Liverpool Building , Centre-Town, L.1 - 1907

 

  REF: 3885


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-port-1840
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Port of Liverpool , Centre-Town, L.1 - 1840

 

  REF: 3884


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-port-of-liverpool-1836
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Port of Liverpool , Centre-Town, L.1 - 1836

 

  REF: 3883


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-pitt-street-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Pitt Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1843

 

  REF: 3882


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-pitt-street-st-michaels-church-1831
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: St Michael's Church Upper Pitt Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1831

  As described in "Smith's Strangers Guide to Liverpool" in the year 1843

ST. MICHAEL'S CHURCH is situated in Upper Pitt-street. The first stone was laid on 24th June, 1816, and the parish expended £35,000 on its erection, but it being still unfinished, the corporation, in 1823 arranged for its completion, which cost them £10,267. The church will accommodate 1306 persons, and has 520 free seats. It is of the Corinthian order, having on the west side a portico 61 feet 7 inches in length, consisting of ten Corinthian columns 3 feet 2 inches in diameter, and 31 feet 8 inches high ; the capitals of which are copied from the remains of the temple of Jupiter Stator at Rome, supporting an entablature, which is carried round the building.

The windows are circular-headed, and divided into two by a panel. The pedestal, on which the steeple rests, is at the west end, and supports sixteen Ionic columns 22 feet 6 inches high, between which, are the belfry windows, with an entablature and balustrade. Above this is a pedestal carrying eight Corinthian columns and pilasters, forming four projecting portals, and from this order sprang an octangular spire, the total height of which was 201 feet from the ground. This part was struck by lightning on the 24th August, 1841, and was so much shattered as to require to be taken down.

  REF: 3881


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-pier-head-1970
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Pier Head, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1970

 

  REF: 3880


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-pier-head-2
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Pier Head, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1960

 

  REF: 3879


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-pier-head-and-landing-stage-1950
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Landing Stage Pier Head, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1950

 

  REF: 3878


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-pier-head-1950
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Pier Head, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1950

 

  REF: 3877


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-pier-head-1925
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Pier Head, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1925

 

  REF: 3876



Pages: 1 2 [>>]


Search More Images


Get to know the real authentic 'Old Liverpool' now by starting your own collection of 'Old Liverpool Books'

What's New
     

Liverpool City Group - past and present
Liverpool City Group Home
  Customer Services
 
 
Liverpool City Group Home

Liverpool City Group - Past and Present