Old Photos of Liverpool, Maps and Old Liverpool Books

 Liverpool City Group
  past and present

 



Welcome to our extensive gallery of old images of Liverpool. Mostly, they have been collected from our extensive library of old Liverpool books, all of which have been out of circulation for more than a 100 years.

In order to make these very rare Liverpool books availability for you today, we have meticulously and faithfully reproduced them in epub eBook format so you can see and purchase them for your own collection in our shop

Results that match your search: 62


Pages: 1 2 [>>]

Liverpool, history, wirral-birkenhead-ferry-slip-1843
Location: Wirral

Category: history

Address: The Ferry Slip Birkenhead, , - 1843

 

  REF: 5000


Liverpool, history, liverpool-l5-bank-hall-kirkdale-last-remains-1873
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Bank Hall Last Remains , Kirkdale, L.5 - 1873

 

  REF: 4973


Liverpool, history, liverpool-l5-bank-hall-kirkdale-hunting-stables-2-1873
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Bank Hall Hunting Stables , Kirkdale, L.5 - 1873

 

  REF: 4972


Liverpool, history, liverpool-l5-bank-hall-kirkdale-hunting-stables-1-1873
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Bank Hall Hunting Stables , Kirkdale, L.5 - 1873

 

  REF: 4971


Liverpool, history, liverpool-l5-bank-hall-kirkdale-1873
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Bank Hall , Kirkdale, L.5 - 1873

 

  REF: 4970


Liverpool, history, liverpool-l1-st-lukes-church-berry-street-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: St Lukes Church Berry Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1843

 

  REF: 4910


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l25-babies-hospital-woolton-1924
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Babies Hospital , Woolton, L25 - 1924

 

  REF: 4614


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l23-crosby-shore-shipwreck-1910
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Creek Fisher Shipwreck , Blundellsands, L23 - 1910

 

  REF: 4539


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l23-crosby-beach-blundellsands-c1900s
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Beach , Blundellsands, L23 - 1900

 

  REF: 4528


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l23-crosby-beach-blundellsands-c1890s
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Beach , Blundellsands, L23 - 1890

 

  REF: 4515


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l20-brasenose-road-bootle-1941
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Blitz Damage Brasenose Road, Bootle, L20 - 1941

 

  REF: 4485


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l20-bootle-blitz-c1940
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Blitz Damage , Bootle, L20 - 1940

 

  REF: 4484


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l20-bootle-blitz-benedict-street-c1940
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Blitz Damage Benedict Street, Bootle, L20 - 1940

 

  REF: 4480


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l20-bootle-blitz-22-breeze-hill-c1940
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Blitz Damage Breeze Hill, Bootle, L20 - 1940

 

  REF: 4478


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l20-bootle-blitz-bootle-county-hall-c1940
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Blitz Damage, County Hall , Bootle, L20 - 1940

 

  REF: 4477


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l20-bootle-johnson-brothers-dye-works-vehicle-c1920s
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Johnsons Dye Works Deliveries , Bootle, L20 - 1920

 

  REF: 4476


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l20-bootle-johnsons-dye-works-c1920
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Johnsons Dye Works , Bootle, L20 - 1920

 

  REF: 4475


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l20-bootle-recreation-grounds-1905
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Recreation Grounds , Bootle, L20 - 1905

 

  REF: 4473


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l20-bootle-old-bootle-docks-c1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Docks , Bootle, L20 - 1900

 

  REF: 4472


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l20-bootle-fire-station-c1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Fire Station , Bootle, L20 - 1900

 

  REF: 4470


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l20-bootle-fire-brigade-c1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Fire Brigade , Bootle, L20 - 1900

 

  REF: 4469


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l20-bootle-bull-lighthouse-c1900s
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Bull Lighthouse , Bootle, L20 - 1900

 

  REF: 4468


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l20-bootle-baths-c1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Bootle Baths , Bootle, L20 - 1900

 

  REF: 4467


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l20-old-mansion-on-the-north-shore-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Old Mansion, North Shore , Bootle, L20 - 1843

 

  REF: 4465


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l20-windmill-near-the-north-shore-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The North Shore Windmill , Bootle, L20 - 1843

 

  REF: 4464


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l20-north-shore-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The North Shore , Bootle, L20 - 1843

  As described in "Smith's Strangers Guide to Liverpool" in the year 1843

BOOTLE is a village about three miles distant, much frequented during summer months for sea bathing. The principal objects of attraction are the Church, which has two towers, the Water-works, and the Land-marks on the sands.

  REF: 4463


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l19-garston-bostock-and-co-sugar-works-1887
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Bostock and Co Sugar Works , Garston, L19 - 1887

 

  REF: 4453


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l18-allerton-robin-hoods-stone-1
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Robin Hood's Stone Booker Avenue, Archerfield Road, Allerton, L18 -

 

  REF: 4432


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l18-allerton-robin-hoods-stone-2
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Robin Hood's Stone Booker Avenue, Archerfield Road, Allerton, L18 - 2005

  Believed to be from the same source as the Calder stones, the series of grooves were said to be used to sharpen arrow heads, hence the name 'Robin Hood's Stone.

  REF: 4431


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l15-botanic-gardens-wavertree-1907
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Botanic Gardens Interior , Wavertree, L15 - 1907

 

  REF: 4372


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l15-botanic-gardens-wavertree
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Botanic Gardens , Wavertree, L15 - 1907

  As described in "Smith's Strangers Guide to Liverpool" in the year 1843

THE BOTANIC GARDEN, is situated in Edge-lane, about half a mile beyond Edgehill church. It is the property of a company of proprietors, who have arranged with the corporation for gratuitous admission to the public on Mondays and Fridays, from one to eight p.m. Strangers are at other times admitted gratuitously, by an order from a proprietor, or on payment of one shilling, between the hours six a.m. and nine p.m.

The Botanic Garden was originally in Oxford-street, but the increase of buildings in the neighbourhood, rendered a new site necessary. The present premises occupy eleven statute acres, and are tastefully arranged. The conservatory which is 240 feet in length, contains many rare botanical specimens. The entrance lodge is built of stone in the chaste Grecian style of architecture.

  REF: 4371


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l14-cottage-facing-the-rocket-inn
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Cottage facing the Rocket Inn , Broadgreen, L14 - 1900s

  on the site of what is now the start of the M62.

  REF: 4364


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l9-fazakerley-beaver-paint-company-1949
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Beaver Paint Company , Fazakerley, L.9 - 1949

 

  REF: 4343


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-bold-street-1910
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Bold Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1910

  Donated by Paul Evans

  REF: 4256


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l6-boundary-lane-ogdens-factory-1924
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Ogdens Factory Boundary Lane, Kensington, L.6 - 1924

 

  REF: 4229


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l6-boundary-lane-ogdens-office-1924
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Ogdens Office Boundary Lane, Kensington, L.6 - 1924

 

  REF: 4228


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l6-belmont-road-institution-1925
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Belmont Road Institution Belmont Road, Kensington, L.6 - 1925

 

  REF: 4227


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l5-industrial-school-kirkdale-1850
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Industrial School Bootle Lane, Kirkdale, L.5 - 1850

 

  REF: 4212


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l5-blackfield-house-kirkdale-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Blackfield House , Kirkdale, L.5 - 1843

 

  REF: 4202


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l5-bank-hall-kirkdale-2-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Bank Hall Bank Hall Lane, Kirkdale, L.5 - 1843

 

  REF: 4201


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l5-bank-hall-1754
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Bank Hall Bank Hall Lane, Kirkdale, L.5 - 1754

  As described in "A History of Liverpool" in the year 1907

Sir Edward Moore, in the seventeenth century claimed that they had been settled in Liverpool from the beginning of its history. They held even more land in the town than the Liverpools, but unlike the Liverpools they also acquired large holdings outside of the borough, in Bootle, Kirkdale, West Derby, and other townships.

Their original seat, Moore Hall, lay at the northern end of the village, and its croft and gardens ran down to the shore of the river. When they acquired lands in Kirkdale, and built a country house at Bank Hall, their older house was called the Old Hall ; in this form it has given its name to a modern Liverpool street.

  REF: 4199


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l3-university-of-liverpool-etching-c1880
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: University of Liverpool Brownlow Street, Centre-Town, L.3 - 1880

 

  REF: 4170


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l3-the-university-college-1892
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The University College Brownlow Street, Centre-Town, L.3 - 1892

  As described in "A History of Liverpool" in the year 1907

The dream of planting in the midst of the shops and warehouses of a great city a university of a new type was one which could scarcely have been entertained until the years when the boldest schemes, and the highest ideals of what was possible and desirable for Liverpool, had begun to be entertained. When, after the Education Act of 1870, England began to be dotted with timid institutions then called University Colleges, a few enlightened men began to urge that Liverpool also should take the same course.

A handful of doctors, struggling to maintain the School of Medicine which had existed since 1834, one or two scholars, like Charles Beard, who had drifted into the not very congenial surroundings of a great commercial centre, and a few enthusiasts for scientific training as an equipment for practical life - these were the pioneers of the movement. But they found themselves faced by many obstacles. When they tried to arouse interest among the great merchants of the town, they found, as one of them has testified, that most of them were interested only in two things - money-making and good living ; while others, forming their ideas of a university upon the lawns and ancient buildings of Oxford, laughed at the idea of turning a trading town into the seat of a university. Some, who might otherwise have thrown themselves into the movement, were diverted from it by the synchronous movement for the establishment of the bishopric.

Yet gradually the idea gained ground, helped forward not a little by the inspiring dream of what such a civic university might be, which was put forward by the great scholar. Bishop Lightfoot, himself once a Liverpool boy ; and helped still more by the whole hearted enthusiasm with which that noble philanthropist, William Rathbone, threw himself into the work of collecting funds. So at length the scheme was formally launched at a town's meeting in 1879; the corporation began its munificent support by granting a site ; 50,000 were raised by subscription ; and in January, 1882, the University College was opened, in a disused lunatic asylum, in the midst of a slum district.

  REF: 4167


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l3-st-stephens-church-byrom-street-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: St Stephen's Church Byrom Street, Centre-North, L.3 - 1843

  As described in "Smith's Strangers Guide to Liverpool" in the year 1843

ST. STEPHEN'S CHURCH is a small cemented building in Byrom-street, with seats for 497 persons. It was licensed as a Protestant dissenters' meeting-house of the Baptist denomination in 1722, and afterwards consecrated as a Church.

  REF: 4165


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l3-royal-infirmary-brownlow-street-1911
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Royal Infirmary Brownlow Hill, Centre-Town, L.3 - 1911

 

  REF: 4160


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l3-infirmary-brownlow-hill-2-1839
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Infirmary Brownlow Hill, Centre-Town, L.3 - 1839

  As described in "Smith's Strangers Guide to Liverpool" in the year 1843

THE INFIRMARY, situated in Brownlow-street, was opened for the reception of patients in 1824, having been erected from the designs of Mr. Foster, at an outlay of 27,000, in room of the old Infirmary in St. John's Lane, which was opened in 1749, and had become too small for the increasing population. Six Ionic columns, supporting a plain frieze and projecting cornice, (which is carried round the whole building,) form the portico at the front. The width at the back, including the wings which recede from the portico 82 feet, is 204 feet, and the depth from the front of the building to the back, 108 feet. Nearly twenty rooms on the ground floor afford accommodation for the officers of the Institution, committees, household, &c., except one large apartment in the left wing, which is fitted up as a ward-room for accidental cases.

The upper stories are entirely appropriated for patients, and additions have been recently made to the establishment, by which more ample accommodation is afforded. Out of twenty wards, five, containing upwards of one hundred beds, are allotted to surgical cases, four to medical cases for men, and the remainder are set apart for women. In the centre of the building is a steam engine which supplies the establishment with water, and with steam for cooking, works a mangle, and is applied to other useful purposes. In the yard is an elevated erection, on which is placed a clock, which can be seen from all parts of the building, and strikes the hours and quarters.

The utility of this Institution is proved by the number and variety of patients who are annually admitted. During 1841, 2186 patients were admitted, of which number only 135 cases proved fatal, and 1375 were cured. The average weekly number in the house was 212. The affairs of this charity are managed by a president, a committee of twenty-five, and the other officers of the Institution are, a consulting physician and two consulting surgeons, three physicians, three surgeons, a house surgeon, an apothecary, and a matron.

  REF: 4145


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-the-bin-men-1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Bin Men Liverpool, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1900

  in the days before the advent of 'Refuse Technicians'. Note the way the bins were built into the back walls of the houses and the bin men walked down the back alleys and jiggers to empty them. Horse drawn bin wagons, as well.

  REF: 3970


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-st-lukes-church-1831
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: St Lukes Church Berry Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1831

  As described in "Smith's Strangers Guide to Liverpool" in the year 1843

ST. LUKE'S CHURCH, at the corner of Berry-street and Leece-street, forms a prominent object from the whole length of Bold-street. The foundation stone was laid in April, 1811, but owing to a variety of unavoidable circumstances it was not opened till 1831. The sum of 44,110 was expended by the corporation on its erection, from the design of John Foster, Esq. It is a beautiful specimen of the Gothic style of the fourteenth century, constructed entirely of white stone ; and a considerable amount of ornament, both internally and externally, has been successfully introduced. The tower, which is at the west end, is 137 feet high, and has octagonal turrets at the angles, perforated by pointed loop-holes, with rich labels, and finished with embrasures. The beautiful proportions of the lofty windows add greatly to the appearance of the tower. The sides of the building are supported by buttresses, finished with pinnacles, and the windows between them are of three compartments, with tracery heads. The cornice is surmounted by moulded embrasures. The east window in the chancel has a pleasing appearance, and harmonises well with the richness of the panelling, the octagonal-headed turrets, and the open quatrefoil blocking at this end of the building.

The interior is finished in a manner corresponding with the exterior of the edifice. There are no side galleries, and only a small one at the west end for the organ and choir. The ceiling is richly panelled in the centre, and groined at the sides, the intersections being filled up with foliage, drops, and open bosses. The ceiling of the chancel is also groined and divided from the body of the church by a bold arch. This church will accommodate about 2,000 persons in the area, including the chancel. The windows are ornamented with stained glass, and contain the armorial bearings of each member of the old corporation. The west entrances are approached by a broad flight of stone steps, and the church-yard is enclosed by handsome iron railings, with lofty pinnacled piers.

The church took a direct hit during the bombing of the Second World War which took out the roof and interior but left the outer walls standing which is why, today it is mostly known as 'the bombed out church'.

  REF: 3956


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-solid-tyre-bus-1919
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Solid Tyre Bus , Centre-Town, L.1 - 1919

 

  REF: 3927


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-brunswick-house-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Brunswick House , Centre-Town, L.1 - 1843

 

  REF: 3727



Pages: 1 2 [>>]


Search More Images


Get to know the real authentic 'Old Liverpool' now by starting your own collection of 'Old Liverpool Books'

What's New
     

Liverpool City Group - past and present
Liverpool City Group Home
  Customer Services
 
 
Liverpool City Group Home

Liverpool City Group - Past and Present