Old Photos of Liverpool, Maps and Old Liverpool Books

 Liverpool City Group
  past and present

 



Welcome to our extensive gallery of old images of Liverpool. Mostly, they have been collected from our extensive library of old Liverpool books, all of which have been out of circulation for more than a 100 years.

In order to make these very rare Liverpool books availability for you today, we have meticulously and faithfully reproduced them in epub eBook format so you can see and purchase them for your own collection in our shop

Results that match your search: 30

Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l18-allerton-cemetery-1911
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Allerton Cemetery , Allerton, L18 - 1911

 

  REF: 4430


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l18-allerton-cemetery-chapel-1911
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Allerton Cemetery Chapel , Allerton, L18 - 1911

 

  REF: 4429


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l18-allerton-priory-2-c1800
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Allerton Priory , Allerton, L18 - 1800

 

  REF: 4428


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l18-allerton-priory-c1800
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Allerton Priory , Allerton, L18 - 1800

 

  REF: 4427


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l18-allerton-hall-2-c1800
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Allerton Hall , Allerton, L18 - 1800

 

  REF: 4426


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l18-allerton-hall-c1800
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Allerton Hall , Allerton, L18 - 1800

  As described in "Smith's Strangers Guide to Liverpool" in the year 1843

ALLERTON is five miles south east of Liverpool. In its neighbourhood are the calder stones and Allerton Hall, the residence of Roscoe, till the reverses of fortune obliged him to quit it in the decline of life.

  REF: 4425


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l17-aigburth-road-aigburth-hall-1908
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Aigburth Hall Aigburth Road, Aigburth, L17 - 1906

  As described in "Smith's Strangers Guide to Liverpool" in the year 1843

Between Wavertree and Aigburth are numerous elegant villas and suburban residences. The village of AIGBURTH is beautifully situated three miles south of Liverpool, on the Mersey. In the neighbourhood is a handsome modern church in the Norman style of architecture, in which is a fine painted window representing "Christ healing the leper." There is also a Catholic chapel ; and a Catholic Magdalen asylum is shortly to be built.

Returning towards town we come into Toxteth-park, in which is situated St. Michael's church, a handsome Gothic erection; and the whole of the neighbourhood through which we pass is thickly studded with gentlemen's seats.

Till the visitor has made the tour of the environs, he will have no idea of the splendour of the private dwellings of the opulent Liverpool merchants, and of the taste which is displayed in the arrangement of the grounds.

  REF: 4380


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l17-aigburth-aigburth-hall-farm-1875
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Aigburth Hall Farm Aigburth Road, Aigburth, L17 - 1875

 

  REF: 4379


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l7-abercrombie-square-1831
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Abercromby Square, Edge Hill, L.7 - 1831

  As described in "A History of Liverpool" in the year 1907

The principal streets, before 1786, were not more than six yards wide, and the paving was exceedingly rough, ' the remark of all strangers.' In the earlier part of the period the houses which faced upon the old streets were of infinite variety of size and form, for rich and poor lived together, and the wealthiest merchants did not disdain to live above their cellar warehouses, the yawning openings to which formed a serious danger to foot passengers. Houses of this type may still be seen in Duke Street and Hanover Street, but in the eighteenth century merchants dwelt also in Water Street, Oldhall Street, and Lord Street.

Towards the end of the century, however, they began to desert the old houses, and to betake themselves to residences further afield. Rodney Street was well built up by the end of the eighteenth century, Mr. John Gladstone being established in his fine house before 1798 ; St. Anne Street contained many good houses ; and in 1801 the Mosslake fields began to be laid out, with Bedford Street, Chatham Street, Abercromby and Falkner Squares. The country mansions of merchant princes were to be found dotting the country side, scattered over Everton Hill, frequent in the southern part of Toxteth Park, and even as far afield as Childwall and Allerton.

  REF: 4238


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l4-walton-american-tram-car-1905
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: American Tram Car , Walton, L.4 - 1905

 

  REF: 4180


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l4-liverpool-football-club-anfield-1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Liverpool Football Club Anfield Road, Anfield, L.4 - 1900

 

  REF: 4173


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l2-lord-street-arcade-c1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Arcade Lord Street, Centre-Town, L.2 - 1900

 

  REF: 4073


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-ranelagh-place-adelphi-hotel-1938
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Adelphi Hotel Ranelagh Place, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1938

 

  REF: 3896


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-original-post-box-2006
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Old Post Box Albert Dock, Centre-Town, L.1 - 2006

 

  REF: 3857


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-old-lunatic-asylum-lime-street-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Old Lunatic Asylum Lime Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1797

  This Plate is from a rare Print, date 1797, preserved in the Halsall MSS. It represents the Lunatic Asylum, erected in 1790, and the Tower of St. John's Church which stood in St. John's Gardens.

It stood exactly on the site of the south front of St. George's Hall. The building was taken by Government in 1835 for Barracks.

  REF: 3854


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-atherton-street-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Atherton Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1843

 

  REF: 3715


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-anglican-cathedral
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Anglican Cathedral St James Mount, Centre-South, L.1 - 1965

 

  REF: 3714


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-anglican-cathedral-great-george-street-1942
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Anglican Cathedral St James Mount, Centre-South, L.1 - 1942

 

  REF: 3712


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-anglican-cathedral-3-1904-1978
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Anglican Cathedral St James Mount, Centre-South, L.1 - 1904 - 1978

 

  REF: 3710


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-l1-adelphi-hotel-ranelagh-street-c1800
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Adelphi Hotel Ranelagh Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1800

 

  REF: 3708


Liverpool, history, liverpool-l1-history-church-street-the-athenaeum-1830
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Athenaeum Church Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1830

  As described in "Bygone Liverpool" in the year 1913

UNFORTUNATELY there has never yet been published a good engraving of this important building, nor have the publishers been able to discover an interesting drawing. The one here reproduced is the best old one obtainable. Its date is 1830.

The Athenaeum, ever since it was opened in 1799, has been a centre of literary activity in Liverpool, and the best traditions of William Roscoe, Dr. Currie, and other literary men are still maintained there. The library is a valuable one, and contains the interesting Roscoe Collection. It is specially strong in local books and maps, possessing the only complete set of Liverpool Directories known, and there is a small but interesting collection of old prints relating to Liverpool, some of which have, by the kind permission of the Committee, been reproduced in this work.

  REF: 689


Liverpool, history, liverpool-l1-colquitt-street-the-apothecaries-company-1840
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Apothecaries Company Colquitt Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1840

  As described in "Smith's Strangers Guide to Liverpool" in the year 1843

was established for the purpose of supplying medicine, and drugs, both wholesale and retail, free from adulteration. Their premises are in Colquitt-street, and consist of a spacious building of a most elaborate and unique design. The front is of freestone and has four pilasters on the lower story, between which, are the door and windows. Over each of them, are two beautifully carved oxen, bearing a heavy pedestal. Between the pedestals is a light balustrade, the whole forming a balcony. On the four pedestals are colossal figures of Galen, Hippocrates, Esculapius and Hygeia. The upper part of the building is finished by an enriched frieze and heavy dentilled cornice, with an attic balustrade at the top.

The interior is fitted up in the same elaborate style as the exterior, with light carving and gilding, and mahogany carvings in the form of Sphynxes. The manufactory is behind, and is of a most complete description. The design was that of Messrs. Cunningham and Holme, and the erection cost £20,000.

  REF: 665


Liverpool, history, liverpool-l1-anglican-cathedral
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Anglican Cathedral St James Mount, Centre-South, L.1 - 2008

  The completed result.

  REF: 659


Liverpool, history, liverpool-l1-alexandra-dock-princess-of-wales-1881
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Alexandra Dock Opening , Bootle, L20 - 1881

 

  REF: 656


Liverpool, history, liverpool-l1-albert-dock-royal-yacht-1846
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Albert Dock, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1846

  The Royal Yacht entering the Albert Dock for the official opening.

  REF: 653


Liverpool, history, liverpool-l1-albert-dock-1924
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Albert Dock , Centre-Town, L.1 - 1924

  The Albert Dock was designed by Jesse Hartley and Philip Hardwick. It was opened in 1846, and was the first structure in Britain to be built entirely without wood and soley from cast iron, bricks and stone. The finished building was the first non-combustible warehouse system in the world.

At that time it was considered revolutionary because ships could load and unload directly to and from the warehouses. Two years later the world's first hydraulic cranes were added. Due to its open yet secure design, the Albert Dock was used to store valuable cargoes such as brandy, cotton, ivory, silk, sugar, tea and tobacco.

  REF: 651


Liverpool, history, liverpool-l1-adelphi-hotel-1870
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Adelphi Hotel Ranelagh Place, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1870

  After dinner an adjournment might be made to one of the two bowling greens in Mount Pleasant, or to the Ranelagh Gardens, on the site of the Adelphi Hotel, which were, from 1765 to the end of the century, a favourite place of resort :

The Adelphi Hotel was built on this site in 1826 for the hotelier James Radley

This was the first of three, the second being built in 1876 and the present being built between 1911-14.

The RMS Titanic was registered in Liverpool (though it never visited the port) and the current Adelphi Hotel's Sefton Suite is an exact replica of the liner's First Class Smoking Lounge.

  REF: 650


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-great-charlotte-street-the-royal-amphitheatre-1826
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: The Royal Amphitheatre Queen’s Square, Great Charlotte Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1826

  As described in "Bygone Liverpool" in the year 1913

THIS theatre, situated in Great Charlotte Street, was built in 1825, and opened January 27, 1826. It was erected for equestrian and dramatic exhibitions, and a contemporary writer says : " the audience part of the house is fitted up in the most convenient, tasteful, and brilliant style. The front of the three tiers of boxes presents to the eye a prevailing mass of crimson ground, enriched with burnished gold mouldings and ornaments, and the splendid gas chandeliers serve to shed over the whole place the glow and radiance of an Oriental Palace."

At one period the theatre was leased to Andrew Ducrow, the equestrian, and proprietor of Astley's Amphitheatre, London, who gave displays of daring skill, and was patronized by King William IV.

The extensive stabling for the large stud of horses was removed when the Royal Court Theatre, which now occupies its site, was built.

  REF: 47


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-aintree-racecourse-1864
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Aintree Racecourse , Aintree, L.9 - 1864

  An early engraving of the opening ceremony at Aintree Racecourse

  REF: 3


Liverpool, history, liverpool-history-aintree-racecourse-1839
Location: Liverpool

Category: history

Address: Aintree Racecourse , Aintree, L.9 - 1839

  One of the oldest known paintings of Aintree races at full gallop at Beechers.

As described in "Smith's Strangers Guide to Liverpool" in the year 1843

Although Aintree Race-course is five miles distant from the town, it still claims a place under the head of Liverpool Amusements. The Maghull Race-course, seven miles from Liverpool, was projected by the late Mr. Francis Bretherton, and on the 25th July, 1827, the first Liverpool races were run on that course. It subsequently passed into the hands of a committee, but on the opening of Aintree Race-course, shortly afterwards, its popularity declined, till it was finally deserted, and rich crops of corn now wave on the spot once marked by all the fun, frolic, dissipation and extravagance of a race meeting.

The funds necessary for the establishment of Aintree Race-course were provided by the munificence of Mr. Lynn, who had warmly supported Maghull course, till its affairs were mismanaged. A short time ago he disposed of a portion of the concern in shares of £25 each, to proprietors, who have free admission to the grand stand. The grand stand has ample accommodation, the course is convenient, the ground is well chosen, and the races are well attended. Aintree (or Liverpool,) races are run in July and September, and the Steeple Chase is in March.

  REF: 1



Search More Images


Get to know the real authentic 'Old Liverpool' now by starting your own collection of 'Old Liverpool Books'

What's New
     

Liverpool City Group - past and present
Liverpool City Group Home
  Customer Services
 
 
Liverpool City Group Home

Liverpool City Group - Past and Present