Old Photos of Liverpool, Maps and Old Liverpool Books

 Liverpool City Group
  past and present

 



Welcome to our extensive gallery of old images of Liverpool. Mostly, they have been collected from our extensive library of old Liverpool books, all of which have been out of circulation for more than a 100 years.

In order to make these very rare Liverpool books availability for you today, we have meticulously and faithfully reproduced them in epub eBook format so you can see and purchase them for your own collection in our shop

Results that match your search: 177


Pages: [<<] 1 2 3 4 [>>]

Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l3-st-nicholas-church-and-chapel-street-c1800s
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Nicholas Church Chapel Street, Centre-Town, L.3 - 1800s

 

  REF: 4702


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l3-earle-street-st-pauls-church-1839
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Pauls Church Earle Street, Centre-North, L.3 - 1839

 

  REF: 4701


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l3-chapel-street-st-nicholas-church-1920
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Nicholas Church Chapel Street, Centre-Town, L.3 - 1920

 

  REF: 4700


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l2-castle-street-st-georges-church-1831
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Georges Church Castle Street, St Georges Crescent, Centre-Town, L.2 - 1831

 

  REF: 4699


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l2-castle-street-st-georges-church-c1800
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Georges Church Castle Street, St Georges Crescent, Centre-Town, L.2 - 1800

 

  REF: 4698


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l2-castle-street-st-georges-church-1792
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Georges Church Castle Street, St Georges Crescent, Centre-Town, L.2 - 1792

 

  REF: 4697


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l1-st-stephens-church-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Stephens Church Byrom Street, Centre-Town, L.3 - 1843

  ST. STEPHEN'S CHURCH is a small cemented building in Byrom-street, with seats for 497 persons. It was licensed as a Protestant dissenters' meeting-house of the Baptist denomination in 1722, and afterwards consecrated as a Church.

  REF: 4696


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l1-rodney-street-st-andrews-scotch-kirk-1839
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Andrews Scotch Kirk Rodney Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1839

 

  REF: 4695


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l1-mariners-church-1830
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: The Mariners Church George's Dock, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1830

  As described in "Smith's Strangers Guide to Liverpool" in the year 1843

MARINER'S CHURCH.

This is a commodious place of worship for the use of seamen, moored at the south end of George's Dock, It was originally the " Tees,'' an 18 gun sloop, which was granted by government for the purpose to which it is now applied. It is fitted up in the usual manner of a church, with galleries, &c., and the church of England service is regularly used.

  REF: 4694


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l1-hope-street-philharmonic-hall-and-unitarian-church-1850
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: The Unitarian Church Hope Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1850

  seen here next to the Philharmonic Hall

  REF: 4693


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l1-great-george-st-chapel
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: Great George Street Chapel Great George Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1843

 

  REF: 4692


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l1-church-of-the-school-for-the-blind-1831
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: Church of the School for the Blind London Road, Centre-Town, L.3 - 1831

  SCHOOL FOR THE BLIND. This institution is situated in London-road, at the corner of Hotham-street, has a plain stuccoed exterior, and extends in a long range of building as far back as Lord Nelson-street.

  REF: 4691


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l1-church-street-st-peters-church-1877
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Peters Church Church Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1877

 

  REF: 4690


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l1-church-street-st-peters-church-the-altar-1843
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: The Altar, St Peters Church Church Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1843

 

  REF: 4689


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l1-church-street-st-peters-church-c1800
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Peters Church Church Street, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1800

 

  REF: 4688


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l1-brunswick-wesleyan-chapel-1829
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: Brunswick Wesleyan Chapel Moss Street, Centre-Town, L.6 - 1829

 

  REF: 4687


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l4-st-john-the-evangelist-church-fountains-road-kirkdale1927
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St John the Evangelist RC Fountains Road, Kirkdale, L.4 - 1927

  The building on the left is the Infants and Junior school, St John the Evangelist RC church on the right. Thanks to Steve Oneill

  REF: 4255


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-sefton-church-1849
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: Sefton Church , Sefton, - 1849

 

  REF: 2872


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l21-litherland-1915
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: Litherland Church , Litherland, L21 - 1915

 

  REF: 2871


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l17-st-michaels-church-aigburth-1800
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Michaels St Michaels Church Road, Aigburth, L17 - 1800

 

  REF: 2870


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l17-st-clare-arundel-avenue-1890
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Clare Arundel Avenue, Aigburth, L17 - 1890

 

  REF: 2869


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l17-st-barnabas-mossley-hill-1914
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Barnabas Penny Lane, Mossley Hill, L17 - 1914

 

  REF: 2868


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l17-greenbank-synagogue
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: Greenbank Synagogue Greenbank Drive, Aigburth, L17 - 1960

 

  REF: 2867


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l16-childwall-synagogue
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: Childwall Synagogue Dunbabin Road, Childwall, L16 - 1960

 

  REF: 2866


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l16-childwall-church-1890
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: Childwall Church Childwall Abbey Road, Childwall, L16 - 1890

 

  REF: 2865


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l15-holy-trinity-church-road-wavertree-1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: Holy Trinity C of E Church Road, Wavertree, L15 - 1900

 

  REF: 2863


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l9-blessed-sacrament-walton-vale-1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: Blessed Sacrament Walton Vale, Walton, L.9 - 1900

 

  REF: 2862


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l8-the-new-greek-church-princes-road-toxteth-1870
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Nicolas Princes Road, Toxteth, L.8 - 1870

  The Liverpool Greek community dates back nearly 200 years. The first large wave of Greeks arrived in the city in 1821 after the massacre of Greeks by Turkish invaders on the island of Chios.

The Greek Orthodox Church is situated at the junction of Berkley Street and Princes Road. It was built in 1870 in the Neo-Byzantine architecture style. The architects were W. & J. Hay and the church was built by Henry Sumners. It is an enlarged version of St Theodore's church in Constantinople and is a Grade II Listed building.

It was built in the neighborhood of Toxteth at a time when Liverpool's magnates were filling Toxteth with opulent mansions and substantial homes and in a cluster of houses of worship designed to advertise the wealth and status of these captains of industry that were very ethnically diverse in the Victorian era.

  REF: 2861


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l8-st-silas-high-park-street
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Silas High Park Street, Dingle, L.8 - 1900

  St. Silas was erected during 1864 and consecrated in September 1865, seating 1081 (Gores 1938). It stood on the corner of High Park Street and St. Silas Street. School buildings stood behind, in Pengwern Street. The church is known to have had a tower and a spire.

The church was damaged during WWII on 19 October 1940 and did not re-open until 6 December 1942. In the intervening period, baptisms were performed in the Mission Hall and marriages solemnized in other local churches. St Silas closed in 1952 and was demolished in 1954, the parish being amalgamated with that of St. Philemon in Windsor Street.

This was also the parish church of Ringo Starr.

  REF: 2860


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l8-st-philomena-with-st-silas-windsor-street-toxteth
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Philomen with St Silas Windsor Street, Toxteth, L.8 - 1900

 

  REF: 2859


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l8-st-pauls-belvidere-road-1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Paul's Church Belvidere Road, Dingle, L.8 - 1900

  The foundation stone of St. Paul's was laid on 9th September 1846 by the Rev. Hugh Mc'Neile. It was consecrated by the Archbishop of Canterbury elect, the Most Rev. Dr. J. B.Sumner on 02/03/1848.

It was design by Arthur Hill Holme in the 'Perpendicular Gothic', style.

It was not until 1854 that the district chapelry of St. Paul's, Prince's Park was formed out of the district parish of St. John the Baptist, Park Road, Dingle. A new chancel was consecrated by Lord Bishop of the Diocese on 10/12/1886.

St. Paul's Church of England School, opened in 1855 in nearby Byles Street.

The church, on the edge of Princes Park, was demolished in January 1975.

  REF: 2858


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l8-st-margarets-princes-avenue-toxteth-1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Margaret of Antioch Princes Avenue, Toxteth, L.8 - 1900

  The church was built in 1868–69 and designed by G. E. Street. It was paid for by Robert Horsfall, a local stockbroker and Anglo-Catholic.

The church became "the centre of Anglo-Catholicism in 19th-century Liverpool". In 1924–26 the Jesus Chapel, designed by Hubert B. Adderley, was added to the north of the church.

Antioch, in Turkey, was considered to be 'the cradle of Christianity'.

  REF: 2857


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l8-st-john-the-baptist-park-road-1832
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St John The Baptist Park Road, Dingle, L.8 - 1832

  ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST'S CHURCH, situated in Park-road, is a beautiful specimen of the old English style of ecclesiastical architecture, and was erected in 1832. Its shape is cruciform, and it is built of red stone, finished on all the sides with a battlement, and pinnacles at the angles. The side aisles and angles of the building are supported by buttresses, which are also terminated by pinnacles with crockets and finials. The entrances at the north, south, and west ends, are plain, having above the door way circular windows, lighting the staircases within, and small niches on each side. The upper part of the building is lighted by numerous small lancet windows near the roof, but the lower ones are large and circular-headed. The steeple is at the west end, and consists of a square tower, with buttresses at the angles, terminating in pinnacles, with large belfry windows, above which are the clock faces and a battlement. From this springs a plain octagonal spire. The interior has a striking appearance, the lofty roof, in which the rafters are shown, being supported on pointed arches, the piers of which are clustered. The aisles are separated from the nave by smaller stone arches, and the galleries are placed on cast iron pillars, at the extremities of the nave and transepts. The chancel window has three lancets, and before it is placed the pulpit, which is extremely light.

  REF: 2856


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l8-st-barnabas-parliament-street-1841
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Barnabas Parliament Street, Toxteth, L.8 - 1841

  ST. BARNABAS' CHURCH is situated at the bottom of Parliament-street, and was consecrated in June, 1841. It is built of red stone, and the workmanship is of a very superior description. It will accommodate about 1560 persons, and the interior is elegantly fitted up, with a due regard to convenience. The windows are of the lancet form, and between each of them, and at the angles are projecting buttresses, which are terminated by slender pinnacles. The steeple, which is 135 feet high, is at the south end, and the lower part is square, finished with pinnacles, cornice, &.C., having a clock face and belfry windows above the door. From this tower, springs a slender spire with small lancet loop-holes. The principal entrance is at the south end under the steeple.

  REF: 2855


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l8-st-agnes-church-ullet-road-1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Agnes Ullet Road, Dingle, L.8 - 1900

  This was erected, at a cost of Ł28,000, by Howard Douglas Horsfall, in memory of his father Robert Horsfall. He also founded St Chad's Theological College in Durham. Work began in 1883 on designs by J. L. Pearson who also designed Truro Cathedral. The church was completed and consecrated by Lord Bishop of Liverpool in January 1885.

As the parish expanded in the late 1800s the addition of a chapel of ease, St Pancras in Lidderdale Road, was also provided by Mr. Horsfall but after a decline in congregation numbers St Pancras was re-absorbed in 1937.

  REF: 2854


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l8-ancient-chapel-rear-park-road
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: Ancient Chapel of Toxteth Park Road, Dingle, L.8 - 1662

  view of the rear

  REF: 2853


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l8-ancient-chapel-cemetery-park-road
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: Ancient Chapel of Toxteth Park Road, Dingle, L.8 - 1662

  view of the cemetery

  REF: 2852


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l8-ancient-chapel-interior-park-road
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: Ancient Chapel of Toxteth Park Road, Dingle, L.8 - 1662

  An interior view

  REF: 2851


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l8-ancient-chapel-and-school-park-road-1840
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: Ancient Chapel of Toxteth Park Road, Dingle, L.8 - 1618

  In 1618 the local Puritan community erected the Toxteth Unitarian Chapel on the corner of today’s Park Road, Ullet Road and Dingle Lane. Since the 1830s it has been known as The Ancient Chapel of Toxteth.

The chapel’s first minister was a man by the name of Richard Mather who eventually emigrated to Boston, Massachusetts in North America. Mather’s son Increase Mather and grandson Cotton Mather later became known for their involvement in the infamous Salem Witch Trials of the 1690s. Increase Mather became the President of Harvard on June 27, 1692,

The 1st book published in America was the Bay Psalm Book named after the Massachusetts Bay Colony of Richard Mather who co-authored/translated it.

Prior to becoming a minister, Richard Mather was a school master, at the age of 16. One of the pupils at the school was Toxteth born astronomer and poet Jeremiah Horrox (sometimes spelt Horrocks). Jeremiah went on to predict the transit of Venus across the face of the Sun on the 24th of November 1639., an event which he and his friend William Crabtree were the only two people to observe and record. His treatise on the transit, 'Venus in sole visa', was almost lost to science due to his early death and the chaos brought about by the English civil war, but for this and his other work he has since been hailed as the father of British astronomy. Horrox’s body was laid to rest in the chapel in 1641; he died in his native Toxteth having returned to the area only one year previously. A plaque dedicated to his memory hangs on the chapel wall, each of its four corners decorated with a five pointed star.

Local legend has it that Oliver Cromwell’s troops camped in the Chapel's graveyard when they came to Liverpool during the Civil War.

And all this from a little corner of Dingle that no-one knows.

  REF: 2850


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l8-ancient-chapel-2-park-road
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: Ancient Chapel of Toxteth Park Road, Dingle, L.8 - 1662

  Probably the oldest building in Liverpool, having been occupied from the period of the act of uniformity in 1662

  REF: 2849


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l7-st-annes-overbury-street-edge-hill-1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Annes Overbury Street, Edge Hill, L.7 - 1900

 

  REF: 2848


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l6-st-judes-church-hardwick-street-low-hill-c1890
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Judes Church Hardwick Street, Low Hill, Kensington, L.6 - 1890

 

  REF: 2847


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l5-st-martin-in-the-fields-silvester-street
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Martin in the Fields Silvester Street, Vauxhall, L.5 - 1900

 

  REF: 2846


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l5-st-anthony-scotland-road
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Anthony Scotland Road, Vauxhall, L.5 -

 

  REF: 2845


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l4-walton-1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: Walton Church County Road, Walton, L.4 - 1900

  Real name, St Mary the Virgin, Walton on the Hill

  REF: 2844


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l3-st-pauls-church-st-pauls-square
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Paul's Church St Paul's Square, Centre-North, L.3 - 1880

 

  REF: 2843


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l3-st-marys-highfield-street-1890
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Marys Highfield Street, Centre-North, L.3 - 1890

 

  REF: 2842


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l3-st-marys-highfield-street-2-1890
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Marys Highfield Street, Centre-North, L.3 - 1890

 

  REF: 2841


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l1-st-johns-church-st-johns-lane-1784
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Johns Church St Johns Lane, Centre-Town, L.1 - 1784

  located where St John's Gardens now stand, at St George's Hall

  REF: 2840


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l3-st-annes-st-anne-street
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Annes St Anne Street, Centre-North, L.3 - 1950

  located at the junction with Cazneau Street

  REF: 2838



Pages: [<<] 1 2 3 4 [>>]


Search More Images


Get to know the real authentic 'Old Liverpool' now by starting your own collection of 'Old Liverpool Books'

What's New
     

Liverpool City Group - past and present
Liverpool City Group Home
  Customer Services
 
 
Liverpool City Group Home

Liverpool City Group - Past and Present