Old Photos of Liverpool, Maps and Old Liverpool Books

 Liverpool City Group
  past and present

 



Welcome to our extensive gallery of old images of Liverpool. Mostly, they have been collected from our extensive library of old Liverpool books, all of which have been out of circulation for more than a 100 years.

In order to make these very rare Liverpool books availability for you today, we have meticulously and faithfully reproduced them in epub eBook format so you can see and purchase them for your own collection in our shop

Results that match your search: 26

Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-our-lady-of-mount-carmel-church-high-park-street-l8-1960
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: Our Lady of Mount Carmel High Park Street, Dingle, L.8 - 1960

 

  REF: 5038


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l8-toxteth-dingle-st-jamess-church-upper-parliament-street-1823
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St James Upper Parliament Street, Toxteth, L.8 - 1823

 

  REF: 5033


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l8-st-silas-high-park-street-2
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Silas High Park Street, Dingle, L.8 - 1900

 

  REF: 5032


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l8-st-barnabas-parliament-street-1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Barnabas Parliament Street, Toxteth, L.8 - 1900

 

  REF: 5031


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l8-stanhope-street-wesleyan-chapel-1831
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: Wesleyan Chapel Stanhope Street, Toxteth, L.8 - 1831

 

  REF: 5030


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l8-belvidere-road-st-pauls-church-c1910
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Pauls Church Belvidere Road, Dingle, L.8 - 1910

 

  REF: 5028


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l8-ancient-chapel-park-road
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: The Ancient Chapel Park Road, Dingle, L.8 - 1900

 

  REF: 5027


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l8-temple-of-humanity-upper-parliament-street-1910
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: The Temple of Humanity Upper Parliament Street, Toxteth, L.8 - 1910

 

  REF: 4709


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l8-st-clements-church-beaumont-street-toxteth
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Clements Church Beaumont Street, Toxteth, L.8 - 1900s

 

  REF: 4707


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l8-the-new-greek-church-princes-road-toxteth-1870
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Nicolas Princes Road, Toxteth, L.8 - 1870

  The Liverpool Greek community dates back nearly 200 years. The first large wave of Greeks arrived in the city in 1821 after the massacre of Greeks by Turkish invaders on the island of Chios.

The Greek Orthodox Church is situated at the junction of Berkley Street and Princes Road. It was built in 1870 in the Neo-Byzantine architecture style. The architects were W. & J. Hay and the church was built by Henry Sumners. It is an enlarged version of St Theodore's church in Constantinople and is a Grade II Listed building.

It was built in the neighborhood of Toxteth at a time when Liverpool's magnates were filling Toxteth with opulent mansions and substantial homes and in a cluster of houses of worship designed to advertise the wealth and status of these captains of industry that were very ethnically diverse in the Victorian era.

  REF: 2861


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l8-st-silas-high-park-street
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Silas High Park Street, Dingle, L.8 - 1900

  St. Silas was erected during 1864 and consecrated in September 1865, seating 1081 (Gores 1938). It stood on the corner of High Park Street and St. Silas Street. School buildings stood behind, in Pengwern Street. The church is known to have had a tower and a spire.

The church was damaged during WWII on 19 October 1940 and did not re-open until 6 December 1942. In the intervening period, baptisms were performed in the Mission Hall and marriages solemnized in other local churches. St Silas closed in 1952 and was demolished in 1954, the parish being amalgamated with that of St. Philemon in Windsor Street.

This was also the parish church of Ringo Starr.

  REF: 2860


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l8-st-philomena-with-st-silas-windsor-street-toxteth
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Philomen with St Silas Windsor Street, Toxteth, L.8 - 1900

 

  REF: 2859


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l8-st-pauls-belvidere-road-1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Paul's Church Belvidere Road, Dingle, L.8 - 1900

  The foundation stone of St. Paul's was laid on 9th September 1846 by the Rev. Hugh Mc'Neile. It was consecrated by the Archbishop of Canterbury elect, the Most Rev. Dr. J. B.Sumner on 02/03/1848.

It was design by Arthur Hill Holme in the 'Perpendicular Gothic', style.

It was not until 1854 that the district chapelry of St. Paul's, Prince's Park was formed out of the district parish of St. John the Baptist, Park Road, Dingle. A new chancel was consecrated by Lord Bishop of the Diocese on 10/12/1886.

St. Paul's Church of England School, opened in 1855 in nearby Byles Street.

The church, on the edge of Princes Park, was demolished in January 1975.

  REF: 2858


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l8-st-margarets-princes-avenue-toxteth-1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Margaret of Antioch Princes Avenue, Toxteth, L.8 - 1900

  The church was built in 1868–69 and designed by G. E. Street. It was paid for by Robert Horsfall, a local stockbroker and Anglo-Catholic.

The church became "the centre of Anglo-Catholicism in 19th-century Liverpool". In 1924–26 the Jesus Chapel, designed by Hubert B. Adderley, was added to the north of the church.

Antioch, in Turkey, was considered to be 'the cradle of Christianity'.

  REF: 2857


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l8-st-john-the-baptist-park-road-1832
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St John The Baptist Park Road, Dingle, L.8 - 1832

  ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST'S CHURCH, situated in Park-road, is a beautiful specimen of the old English style of ecclesiastical architecture, and was erected in 1832. Its shape is cruciform, and it is built of red stone, finished on all the sides with a battlement, and pinnacles at the angles. The side aisles and angles of the building are supported by buttresses, which are also terminated by pinnacles with crockets and finials. The entrances at the north, south, and west ends, are plain, having above the door way circular windows, lighting the staircases within, and small niches on each side. The upper part of the building is lighted by numerous small lancet windows near the roof, but the lower ones are large and circular-headed. The steeple is at the west end, and consists of a square tower, with buttresses at the angles, terminating in pinnacles, with large belfry windows, above which are the clock faces and a battlement. From this springs a plain octagonal spire. The interior has a striking appearance, the lofty roof, in which the rafters are shown, being supported on pointed arches, the piers of which are clustered. The aisles are separated from the nave by smaller stone arches, and the galleries are placed on cast iron pillars, at the extremities of the nave and transepts. The chancel window has three lancets, and before it is placed the pulpit, which is extremely light.

  REF: 2856


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l8-st-barnabas-parliament-street-1841
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Barnabas Parliament Street, Toxteth, L.8 - 1841

  ST. BARNABAS' CHURCH is situated at the bottom of Parliament-street, and was consecrated in June, 1841. It is built of red stone, and the workmanship is of a very superior description. It will accommodate about 1560 persons, and the interior is elegantly fitted up, with a due regard to convenience. The windows are of the lancet form, and between each of them, and at the angles are projecting buttresses, which are terminated by slender pinnacles. The steeple, which is 135 feet high, is at the south end, and the lower part is square, finished with pinnacles, cornice, &.C., having a clock face and belfry windows above the door. From this tower, springs a slender spire with small lancet loop-holes. The principal entrance is at the south end under the steeple.

  REF: 2855


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l8-st-agnes-church-ullet-road-1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Agnes Ullet Road, Dingle, L.8 - 1900

  This was erected, at a cost of Ł28,000, by Howard Douglas Horsfall, in memory of his father Robert Horsfall. He also founded St Chad's Theological College in Durham. Work began in 1883 on designs by J. L. Pearson who also designed Truro Cathedral. The church was completed and consecrated by Lord Bishop of Liverpool in January 1885.

As the parish expanded in the late 1800s the addition of a chapel of ease, St Pancras in Lidderdale Road, was also provided by Mr. Horsfall but after a decline in congregation numbers St Pancras was re-absorbed in 1937.

  REF: 2854


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l8-ancient-chapel-rear-park-road
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: Ancient Chapel of Toxteth Park Road, Dingle, L.8 - 1662

  view of the rear

  REF: 2853


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l8-ancient-chapel-cemetery-park-road
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: Ancient Chapel of Toxteth Park Road, Dingle, L.8 - 1662

  view of the cemetery

  REF: 2852


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l8-ancient-chapel-interior-park-road
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: Ancient Chapel of Toxteth Park Road, Dingle, L.8 - 1662

  An interior view

  REF: 2851


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l8-ancient-chapel-and-school-park-road-1840
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: Ancient Chapel of Toxteth Park Road, Dingle, L.8 - 1618

  In 1618 the local Puritan community erected the Toxteth Unitarian Chapel on the corner of today’s Park Road, Ullet Road and Dingle Lane. Since the 1830s it has been known as The Ancient Chapel of Toxteth.

The chapel’s first minister was a man by the name of Richard Mather who eventually emigrated to Boston, Massachusetts in North America. Mather’s son Increase Mather and grandson Cotton Mather later became known for their involvement in the infamous Salem Witch Trials of the 1690s. Increase Mather became the President of Harvard on June 27, 1692,

The 1st book published in America was the Bay Psalm Book named after the Massachusetts Bay Colony of Richard Mather who co-authored/translated it.

Prior to becoming a minister, Richard Mather was a school master, at the age of 16. One of the pupils at the school was Toxteth born astronomer and poet Jeremiah Horrox (sometimes spelt Horrocks). Jeremiah went on to predict the transit of Venus across the face of the Sun on the 24th of November 1639., an event which he and his friend William Crabtree were the only two people to observe and record. His treatise on the transit, 'Venus in sole visa', was almost lost to science due to his early death and the chaos brought about by the English civil war, but for this and his other work he has since been hailed as the father of British astronomy. Horrox’s body was laid to rest in the chapel in 1641; he died in his native Toxteth having returned to the area only one year previously. A plaque dedicated to his memory hangs on the chapel wall, each of its four corners decorated with a five pointed star.

Local legend has it that Oliver Cromwell’s troops camped in the Chapel's graveyard when they came to Liverpool during the Civil War.

And all this from a little corner of Dingle that no-one knows.

  REF: 2850


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l8-ancient-chapel-2-park-road
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: Ancient Chapel of Toxteth Park Road, Dingle, L.8 - 1662

  Probably the oldest building in Liverpool, having been occupied from the period of the act of uniformity in 1662

  REF: 2849


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-l8-toxteth-unitarian-chapel-park-road-dingle-c1960
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: Unitarian Chapel Park Road, Dingle, L.8 - 1960

  Probably, the oldest building in Liverpool, having been occupied from the period of the act of uniformity in 1662.

  REF: 455


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-l8-toxteth-dingle-st-patricks-church-1828
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St Patricks RC Park Place, Dingle, L.8 - 1828

  St Patrick's was built between 1821 and 1827, and designed by John Slater. It is a spacious brick building, the expense of which was defrayed by subscription, on condition that the ground-floor be for ever free to the poor. The central two windows in the upper storey are blind and between them is a statue of Saint Patrick. This statue was moved from the St Patrick Insurance Company building in Dublin in 1827 and presented to the church by James Brancker, Esq., a sugar refiner in the city.

  REF: 454


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-churches-l8-st-james-church-st-james-place-toxteth-dingle-1774
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: St James St James Place, Toxteth, L.8 - 1774

  The north west view of St James church and the road to High Toxteth Park. The church erected by private proprietors in 1774. It is a plain brick building, with two tiers of circular-headed windows, and a square tower at the west end.

  REF: 453


Liverpool, churches, liverpool-l8-princes-road-welsh-church-c1900
Location: Liverpool

Category: churches

Address: Princes Road Welsh Princes Road, Toxteth, L.8 - 1900

  Often referred to as the "Toxteth Cathedral" or the "Welsh Cathedral", this fine example of gothic architecture was commenced in 1865 and opened in March 1868.

It was designed by George and William Audsley who also designed the Princes Road Synagogue and St Margarets and at the time, because its steeple rose to a height of 200 feet (61m), it was the tallest building in Liverpool.

After the First World War the Welsh congregation declined to the point were it was no longer used by them and was sold to the Brotherhood of the Cross and Star who used it until the 1990s when it became vacant, vandalised and derelict.

Today (2013) the Merseyside Building Preservation Trust is hoping to bid for a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund to return it to its former glory.

  REF: 452



Search More Images


Get to know the real authentic 'Old Liverpool' now by starting your own collection of 'Old Liverpool Books'

What's New
     

Liverpool City Group - past and present
Liverpool City Group Home
  Customer Services
 
 
Liverpool City Group Home

Liverpool City Group - Past and Present